Broadband

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class
While moving to the country has many advantages, it also has a major drawback - no broadband except for satellite which is too darned expensive.<br /><br />Any of you using broadband over power lines or broadband over fixed wireless connections? Our electric co-op is thinking seriously about making it avaialble.

ndemge

Commander
Re: Broadband

Havn't heard of the power line broadband...<br /><br />How much is the satilite? The other alternative is ISDN

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

Direcway is around $100/mo with a huge($500) up front equipment investment - way outta my league. We're way to far out for DSL - doesn' ISDN have about the same distance restriction?<br /><br />Oh, the other problem with satellite is that I can't use the company's VPN unless I go to the way more expensive business version.

eeboater

Commander

The broadband over powerline thing is getting tested in Houston. I think its going to do nothing but help the industry as it will provide competition to RoadRunner/Cable<br /><br />Sean

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I live 5 miles beyond the end of the world, tcube.<br /><br />I have a wireless broadband connection that works just fine.<br /><br />My provider is North Central Texas Wireless Broadband LLC.<br /><br />Moving this to Non-boating Tech.