British Seagull

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Pop just gave me his baby (19' Boston Whaler w95hp merc on the back - matched set been married since new in '67. Lots of childhood memories in this lovly lady. Well he also is playing with the idea of resurecting his '61 Gull since the "Black max" was never good for trolling or just getting back to the right fishing spot. Have lots of info. on the gull and am pretty sure we can get the antique beauty running, but have seen no mention of the motor on any postings - Anyone??

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: British Seagull

try britishseagull.com or seagullrestoration.com for info. Parts are still available. You know they run 10:1 premix yeah?<br /><br />I've got one in my back garden with a blown gearbox-gonna fix it as it's the most reliable motor I've ever owned!

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nos4r2 - yeap knew about the mix and have the origonal paper work (owner's manuel parts ordering info), just wanted to see who else had these running.

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well we spent the time and did our research, Pop cleaned the old girl up, and we decided to "Play with her" so to speak. Clamped the motor up so it was submerged in water in the correct manor and Pop pulled the rop 3X's before I took over (had to have a turn) Well after "pretending" to do some adjustments to the choke and throttle, the sweet little lady came to life after only two more pulls and then on the first pull after that for mabey 10 or 20 more pulles (we were playing after all) - and high fiving!. Wow!!!! - the motor has sat in a tool bucket (55 gal drum holding shovels and rakes) for almost 30 years and with almost no effort other than reading up on it, doing what it said to do and waiting for the lower unit oil to show up from where it was ordered, it runs like the day it was new. (Pops words) Now we have to clamp her onto the boat and GO FISHIN - the Bastageis (Bass) had better look out cause their life is about to change dramaticly.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

molsenice: great to hear you got the old Gull working.<br />I have two: both ancient, and a great story with both:<br />Bought off ebay for pennies due to being "non-runners".....in both cases they came with "a full tank of fuel"....yep! you guessed it: one tank was six years old fuel and the other around twenty years old! Drained fuel, squirted carb cleaner through, checked plug and contact breaker points, mixed new fresh fuel (at 25-1 according to the manual I've got for the Seagull, not 10-1 like you guys are using) and away they both went: first pull and running perfect.<br />I wonder if the fuel mix was different for the North American market? I just been and checked my manual over agin and it definitely says 25-1. They seem to run great on it and not smokey or even noisy, and run cool rather than hot......wonder what the difference is and why the manual says 25-1?

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

DOH!!<br /><br />Then I checked my favourite Seagull site; saving-old-seagulls.co.uk and noticed that pre 1967 it was 10-1 unless the needle conversion had been carried out......slinks off into the dark corner awaiting rotten fruit to be thrown at him......

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

That doesn't necessarily have to be 2-stroke oil though Bro- you can use normal cheap engine oil at 10:1, but I'd only do that if you're truly desperate as it makes the plug carbon up enough to stop the engine about once an hour. That's what they were designed for so 3rd world countries can use old engine oil.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Here's a question for you though:<br /><br />I sold my big boat this week and delivered it yesterday. Nice family, loads of kids running around, climbing all over my lovely boat (well, theirs now I guess!).<br /><br />I included a lovely wee seagull as a back-up engine: full of fuel and just serviced by me (including gear oil).<br /><br />Went into the house to get the green folding stuff and when I came out (a bit less sad to see the boat go when I had a fistful of cash) I was horrified to see that the kids had got the seagull and had stood it on end: ie it was balancing on its flywheel!!!<br /><br />No fuel leaking out but I just wonder if any damage or harm will have come to the seagull by being turned completely upside down??<br /><br />Any thoughts?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

If it's completely dry inside then it should be OK apart from flooding a bit-but if it's just been removed from the water then water can run back up the exhaust and into the cylinder.

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

cheers Nos4r2,<br /><br />it may or may not have been totally dry inside: I had her running in the test tank the other day (always amazed that she starts with the first pull!).<br /><br />Oh well, "Sold as seen" should cover it although I don't like people thinking I'd sell a duffer

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Nos4r2.....meant to say: I know of somewhere that has an immaculate Mariner 50 PTT oil injection 2 stroke with all the kit:remotes, guages etc that is doing an incredible deal on it (still over £2K but a heck of a lot less than £3800 that they retail for without the bits added!) and it still has balance of manf. warranty (around 14-18 months IIRC). Just came into the shop last week; perhaps in your line of work collection wouldn't be a problem?<br />If it had fitted mine (and I SERIOUSLY thought about it) I would have bitten off his arms to buy it. I even thought about buying it and selling it on: I can sniff a profit there of several hundred pounds.<br />Just a thought.......

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Oh man I wish I had that kinda cash to spend... That'd be great on the back.My budget is around £1k max :(

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Oh well, it was worth a thought: it's a gorgeous engine and looks like it just came out of the crate.<br />Avoid a certain retailer of outboards in the Manchester area who advertises on boatsandoutboards.co.uk: a seriously nasty piece of work.<br />Good luck with the hunt

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks mate-I rang him a while back and his attitude was so bad I hung up on him. I think I've found an engine now- just gotta go view.It's PTT too and not horribly expensive...<br /><br />Incidentally while we're on the subject of dealers to stay clear of on B&0.co.uk stay well away from the 'dealer' in the ipswich/BSE area. He WAS trading on ebay as suffolksystems. He's just been kicked off for failing to send out items that have been paid for.Had problems with him myself and spoke to at least 3 others who had the same.

baileys

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hi i have a seagull 40 very good condition i got from a seascout leader for 40 pounds about 80us dollars im very pleased with it because it pushes my shetland 535 along when my other isnt working and there is parts available as my tension spring broke and i got one just like that as i met a dealer at our local boot sale he was very helpful his name is howard pitt and his no is actualy i dont know weather to give out his no as it is ahome phone no but if anyone gets stuck please contact me ps he is moving soon

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

cheers for that johnny, perhaps not a good idea to give out home telephone numbers on the forum.<br />Seagulls have definitely divided the boating community over the years: you either hate them or love them. I'm in the latter category. After reading the history of them and how they were built to be fixed by squaddies with hammers and a wrench and run for a day on one small tank of fuel whilst pushing a barge....well, that has to be British engineering at it's best!<br />Like you say they are ideal for pushing the boat when the modern engine fails!

Triton II

Commander

Rule Britannia, our Seagulls rule the waves, Seagulls never, never, neeever... shall be slaves! :D

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Selling my seagul in a couple of hours with my microplus-I'm gonna get withdrawal symptoms. Must get another ASAP!

molsenice

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As for the engine being dry when the kids got ahold of it, acording to what I have read, the Seagull is the only known engine that is capable of surviving submersion (ie: droped into Davies locker) without anything other than getting it out of the water putting in fresh gas. the plug will need to be removed to clear the cylinder, but from what I have read, this is true, the motor will be fine.