briggs & stratton

mudcat1

Seaman Apprentice
Seems it just a lawnmower motor with a prop.I seen a 5hp advertized for less than $700.Anyone with experience with this type of motor?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: briggs & stratton

Its decent, 4 stroke, has forward/neu/reverse, and cheaply priced. What more do you want for the price of a forward only 2 stroke 2 hp?<br /> <br />It does not have the fit and finish of other outboards, and is only available in a short shaft.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It is a tractor engine, not a lawnmower engine, if that matters.<br /><br />Early reports were pretty good, but more recently we have had bad reports. <br /><br />Do the search and you will see what I mean.

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by JB:<br /> It is a tractor engine, not a lawnmower engine, if that matters.
Actually it's an outboard engine. ;) The engine on their outboards is one designed specifically with that in mind; however, it is most closely related to their vertical shaft lawnmower engines.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Just repeating what B&S said about it when they introduced it, ZmOz.

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Just looking at it, I wouldn't put this kind of motor through the "ringer" day in day out. I personally do not like all the exposed plastic linkages/parts. It's rpms do not go as high as on a conventional water cooled two stroke or water cooled 4 stroke and BS is not suited for salt water use. There was even talk about repeated long trolling not being good for it either.<br /><br />For the occasional boater going out a few times a year, I'm sure it's fine. But if you are looking for a heavy duty high use motor, stay away from this one.

FlyBoyMark

Ensign

The issue with this motor being used for a trolling motor and over heating was on a large boat that was "heavy" and the engine was lugging all the time under high throttle setting. This will overheat ANY outboard if not propped properly. Sears sold aircooled outboards for years that worked very well...<br /> As for the RPM, this is moot because the lower unit raio of 1.57 to 1 is set up to work with the higher torque the engine puts out at a lower rpm. This would be a great outboard for use in heavely silt ladden water. This engine can idle ALL DAY LONG with no problems...<br />This would make GREAT outboard for a fish camp that has rental boats.....no water pumps, no premix!!!!<br /> I'd like to see an 18 HP model...

Drowned Rat

Captain

I've been using this motor fairly regularly for about 6 months with no problems although I am very careful with it. It just looks fragile. It's a very strong running 5 hp motor. I would say it's comparable to other 6 to 8 hp motors just based on speed. It is very fast at clutch speed compared to other motors, probably too fast for trolling. I have never had a problem overheating at idle and I've had it out in 95+ degree weather. I think the motor is a good buy for $600 or so, but I think a Merc or Johnnyrude is a better buy for $1100 or so.

93bronco

Ensign

one of the original ad's said it was not to be used in saltwater.