Briggs & Stratton outboard

kchunn

Cadet
I'm planning on putting together a small aluminum rig for fishing the small creeks close to home. I noticed that BassProShops sells a small 5 h.p. Briggs and Stratton outboard for around $600. Can anyone out there give me some info on these little outboards. Are they reliable? Is it basically a four stroke lawm mower engine? Can you get replacement parts for the lower unit, such as impeller, etc? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks,<br /> Kenny

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Briggs & Stratton outboard

Kenny - This question has been asked a number of times. Hop up to the red search at the top of the page and see what has already been said.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Kenny I know this question has been asked a bunch,but let me just tell ya a little bit about these motors.I have 1 on my small restricted lake boat and I love it.Dollar for dollar its a real good motor, a little cold natured when you first start it but it will run and start fine the rest of the day.The motor is air cooled so there is no impellor which is great so you can start it in the yard before you goto the lake and get her warmed up. Parts are cheap, because they are the same as any 5hp Briggs lawnmower, which you can usually get even at your local walmart.<br /> The only downfall to this motor is it is noisy, but other than that its worth it. We have it on a 16' deep V and we run approx. 8mph with 2 people and gear,this was taken by GPS.<br /> If ya have any more qustions just ask and hopefully I can be of some help to ya..

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer

It is not as small as you may think! But it is light...

I am thinking about buying one of these for my 12', 17" transom john boat. I live on a big lake, so I need a fair amount of speed to get me around. Will this thing get the job done? About how fast do you think I could get it going, fully loaded at around 400 lbs?<br /><br />EDIT- the boat is a V hull, albiet not particularly deep.<br /><br />Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rbsgfd578

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You aught to be able to get at least 8- 10 mph..