Briggs 5 HP and a couple of weed eater carbs?

karmrd

Cadet
While puttering around the garage the other night looking for something to fix or distroy I realized that I had a 5 HP briggs motor with no carb.(I distroyed attempting to modify some time ago) and two old weed eaters (long since replaced with new top of the line Troy-built, by the way, why can't sombody design a self feeding trimmer head the works right?) Guess what..The first Hybrid 4 stroke tiller motor with dual gravity feed stroker Mikuni's. Well as soon as I get the intake manifold and throttle thingy worked out. I bet she run if I can dial in on workable air/fuel mixture controller type thingy. Any radical more power types here that can shoot me some ideas out there. They don't have to be good ideas. Hell,none of mine are good, but sure is fun attemting now and then.<br /><br />Karmrd

ZmOz

Captain
Re: Briggs 5 HP and a couple of weed eater carbs?

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but if you manage to get it working it will run like crap. Those carbs are way too small for a 5hp.

karmrd

Cadet

Give me a break!! Gave up on that idea anyway. Thought someone might have related to it. Guess boaters have no since of humor, well at least 1 doesn't.. Your inspiring comment's did not "bust my bubble" that's for sure, In fact you made me realize that when you ask a plumber to paint your house it's going to look like crap. So I search IE for 4 stroke engine experts found out that some drill bits can do wonders increasing volumes of fuel flow through carbs (I knew that anyway done it before) and one other guy told me to just keep adding carbs untill it worked. Radical thinker, I loved that idea. It least they confirmed that it could work and dang polite about too. Think I'll stick to forums like that where people art not quite so uptight. <br /> <br /> Radical thinking is my hobby. It has gotten me out of a lot of situations before just like it got me out of this one.<br /><br />karmrd

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by karmrd:<br />Radical thinking is my hobby. It has gotten me out of a lot of situations before just like it got me out of this one.<br />
Yeah, mine too. I currently have two patents and another pending. My garage is full of things that shouldn't work but do. I'm currently turning a '66 mustang into a boat. Regardless, some ideas are just pointless. First of all, back to your original question, 2 weedeater carbs will run like crap. Period. Doesn't matter how much you drill them. They're too small. You want to add 3 or 4 carbs, go right ahead. But what the hell for? It won't be good for anything. If you're a "radical more power type", spend you're time getting that engine up to 25hp and make something cool out of it. That would be alot more of an acomplishment than simply making it run with a bunch of little carbs...

Barlow

Lieutenant Commander

ZmOz /// <br /><br />Smell that???<br /><br />is that alcohol burning or is it just me ???<br /><br /><br /> :D :D :D

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Want to hop up that 5? Get a carb from an 8 with the adjustable mixture screw on bottom (more cfm), and remove the thick head gasket and make your own out of aluminum flashing (raise compression), buy a new $3 straight muffler and drill out the disk making it a straight through muffler (reduce backpressure). Should run nice at the top end. Been doing that since I was a kid. Now for a more advanced mod, use the next larger size valve springs to keep valve float down now that the engine will turn higher rpms. Also check the crank case breather for obstructions so there is less restriction on the crank case side of the moving parts. Try messing around with the point gap to advance the timing as much as possable. Makes it harder to start, but runs great. Now that the 5 is screaming it's little crank off, try removing some metal from the piston to reduce it's weight and give the connecting rod a longer life. Also, if it has a cast iron flywheel, look around for an aluminum one from a verticlal shaft motor.<br /><br />Have fun!

ZmOz

Captain

Originally posted by Mark42:<br />Also, if it has a cast iron flywheel, look around for an aluminum one from a verticlal shaft motor.<br />
NEVER use a stock aluminum flywheel on a "fast" motor. They are poor quality and have been known to blow at stock speeds. At more than 3600 rpms you're guaranteed to have it fly apart and kill everybody around you.

karmrd

Cadet

Thanks Guys for the supper feedback. I knew the weedeater carbs was a stupid idea, never really planned on doing it. I just hate to see good parts sitting idle. Think I'll stick to reasonable radical ideas like the ones you have wisely suggested. Sure would like to make something with these weedeater motors though, I just don't know what. Maybe an RC airplane or dunebuggy or better yet a boat, but thats another money pit for sure. I already have enough of those.<br /><br />Thanks again. <br /><br />Karmrd