Breathe fire

txswinner

Banned
Ok gang, let's talk.<br /><br />Congress wants to give money to oil companies to build more refineries and open up land to do so. This is Bush type bunk. Oil companies have just reported (reported not actual) the largest profits in history, so why would they be interested in lowering prices?<br /><br />How about a little corporate busting of the President and Vice-President's buddies for restraint of trade. Offer money and support to the auto industry or airlines to build refineries (or any other group that would benefit to have lower fuel cost).<br /><br />The present administration supports breaking down Microsoft etc. but they refuse to take any action that would effect the oil industry. <br /><br />Explain to me why the present administration will not take action. And real thinking none of this drudge bull or Rush ditto crud.<br /><br />By the way this is #800 for me. Where do I cash in.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral
Re: Breathe fire

txwinner you are forgetting you economics again.<br /><br />High gas prices will reduce demand and slow down the economy. Plus high gas prices will make those darn expensive alternatives, not look so darn expensive.<br /><br />This will then cause lower gas prices.<br /><br />The presidents job isnt to prevent peaks and valleys, but to make the peaks and valleys not so high and so long.<br /><br />Trust me, the oil compnay execs are loving the profits but are worried about the long term. I think they would maximize profits at about 40 dollars a barrel and gas a little under 2 dollars/gal.<br /><br />Ken

txswinner

Banned

Your faith in oil companies is immense. Your statement would be true in a free enterprize but not a monopolistic environment.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Please explain your last statement.<br /><br />OK lets let the monopolies raise the prices till the economy crashes and starts a civil war.<br /><br />Man those monopolies sure were smart. :rolleyes: The made a ton of profit, too bad the money is worthless, and the world turned to a wasteland where money is no good.<br /><br />Ken

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Monopoly? What monopoly?<br /><br />One industry does not translate to one company. You been trying to read Marx again?<br /><br />Reducing how much you take from taxpayers is not giving them money anymore than easing the stranglehold you have on someone is saving their life.

txswinner

Banned

Ok, from the right, why not let microsoft run through the computer software field unabated?

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I do not profess to be an economics major, but it sure feels like they, (oil companies) don't want to crash the economy.....Just bleed every cent they can get away with...Gas is still way too easy as a fuel, I don't care how much the cost rises, I don't see any truly viable means to power cars coming to pass any time soon....Until the price truly goes through the roof....and that won't happen, they will control it just enough to make it hurt, not kill ya....I think the government should brew its' own gas for its' own use.....Naval,Air & Land.....& end at least part of the oil consortium's profit taking....JK

txswinner

Banned

Ken, What you say has a strong basis. Corp. profits by man. teams are short sighted.<br /><br />Monopoly does not require 100% ownership to control anymore than it takes over 50% stock ownership to control a corporation.<br /><br />If one controls enough of the resources i.e. raw material, refining capabilities, distribution systems, retail outlets, the prices can be manipulated outside the forces of the supply and demand.<br /><br />We saw an attempt to corner the silver market in the eighties by the Hunt brothers who were close to succeeding until stopped by the gov. It causes false values on commodities. <br /><br />This is what we have today in oil and gasoline. Exxon reports an increase from $.33/gal to the present $.99/gal. In a free enterprize theoritic model this would result in a 1/3 reduction in demand. However, this can not happen because they control the supply.<br /><br />If 50 more companies were able to compete then the price would drop because they would settle for the lower profit. Not when a company has control of the market.<br /><br />Do not kid yourself, Shell, BP and others are not competing freely. They ride the coattails and the only reason they exist is at the permission of Exxon. Exxon is largest corp in world and larger than next 10 all together. This is dangerous to a free society.<br /><br />Hope I explained myself, and if not then drop dead!!! Just kidding I read all points and do try to understand.

oddjob

Commander

Originally posted by txswinner:<br /> Ok, from the right, why not let microsoft run through the computer software field unabated?
I had no problem with that....... But Clinton needed to sacrifice Big Business to give all you sheep a warm and fuzzy feeling. Easier than fighting terrorism I suppose.<br /> :p

txswinner

Banned

Ken, I take it back, from your response you would never understand anything about economics. Way to far over your head. Oh it was your remark that I forget economics. Let us see here, Clinton did it wrong, President Bush did right what ever it is we are talking about. No Brains to think with.

tommays

Admiral

It amazes me that a refinery has not been built in 30 years more or less with the excuse being the environmental regulations are to hard to get around<br /><br />Billion dollar companies can usually work their way through these things if they want to but it would seem that there was no need,<br /><br /> There must have been and excess of refinery capacity 30 years ago that has just caught up with us because if they can't cook it they can't sell it<br /><br /><br />tommays

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

txwinner, please check your history. Back in 1999 the price of oil hit 8 dollars/barrell.<br /><br />If the oil companies can control the oil prices so easily, why o why did they drop the prices so low?????<br /><br />Also, it seems that most of your info comes from the media, which is a very bad source.<br /><br />Ever heard of Kerr-McGee??? Anadarko???, BHP Billiton??? These guys are huge players in the oil industry, but they dont get the headlines.<br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

That isnt the only reason no refineries were built.<br /><br />Number one is maximizing profits. Yes, those evil oil companies want to make the most money they can. What terrible people.<br /><br />Added capacity also adds costs and liability, plus it will drive prices down.<br /><br />They ran the numbers and found out that they make more profit making the current amount of dollars/gal that they make. If they spend all that money to increase capacity, they will end up after all is said and done, with less profit.<br /><br />Since when is it bad for a company to maximize their profits?<br /><br />The solution is, the governement needs to give them incentives to increase capacity, and thus they will make more profit.<br /><br />Again, just simple economics.<br /><br />Ken

txswinner

Banned

Ken, You are against government welfare are did you forget you are a right wing conservative. Oh heck someone said right wingers believe ok to give incentives to oil industry that is not welfare. Come on Ken think a little.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

txwinner, I think I will no longer bite at your bait, cause its old, boring, and rotten. :D <br /><br />Try putting some pinks, and greens, with a bit of gold flake. Perhaps some type of noise maker???<br /><br /><br />Ken

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

BTW, equating welfare with tax incentives has brought you back to the "most pathetic post ever" status. :D <br /><br />Ken

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Try putting some pinks, and greens, with a bit of gold flake
For a minute there KIZ, I thought you were describing sancho's car driving down Uvalde near I-10 :)

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

txw wrote: "Congress wants to give money to oil companies to build more refineries and open up land to do so. This is Bush type bunk. Oil companies have just reported (reported not actual) the largest profits in history, so why would they be interested in lowering prices?"<br />_______________________________________________________________________<br /><br /><br />The last time that i checked, President Bush was still the head of the executive branch, i was not aware that he had moved over to the Congress.<br /><br />If the Government opens up new lands for oil and gas exploration, the oil companies will invest, they do not need taxpayers subsidization to do so.<br /><br />The current increased prices of gas is not just because of higher crude prices, but most definitely because of a lack of refinery capacity, we do need more refineries.<br /><br />BTW I do believe if i'm not mistaken that the attempted cornering of the silver market by the Hunt brothers took place in the seventies.