Breaking News

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Twenty-one people are confirmed dead after a boat capsized on Lake George, New York, a county sheriff confirms.

Rickfifty

Seaman
Re: Breaking News

As much as I would dislike mandatory life jacket laws, shouldn't some of those seniors that needed walkers & wheelchairs have been "persuaded" to wear them? Tragic...

KaGee

Admiral

Ya, I heard that... said the boat just flipped over. Wonder if everyone moved to one side or if there was a hull failure of some sort.

Moody Blue

Captain

Sounds like the wake of a large boat may have capsized the vessel. Common sense should have dictated they wear PFD's. Very sad.

wildbill59

Petty Officer 1st Class

Our local recreation dept. sponsors pontoon boat rides. Wearing PFD's are mandatory.

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

That is so sad to hear.. I hope we take a few minutes in our busy lives to thank god that we are still alive to see the next day rise.. To be fishing and enjoy each day passing. To spend everyday like it maybe our last..<br />Good bless those lost at sea..

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

self edited noon on Monday EST Oct 3.<br /><br />Very Sad. Unrealistic to expect mandatory lifejacket requirements for adults. Which is what the investigation findings will probably suggest for future. I mean unless you are on the "Maid of the Mist" it should be up to the individual, even when strongly advised.

tommays

Admiral

sidepic_mohican_pizza.jpg
<br /><br />i spend a week camping there on the islands every summer<br /><br />the MOHICAN is one of 3 big boats and leaves a massive bow and stern wave that rolls for miles.<br /><br />it caught me off gaurd this summer because the boat was no were to be seen its like falling into a trench.<br /><br />i can see the ethan allen being top heavy with 50 people on board but i am supprised it rolled it is a 40'boat<br /><br /><br />tommays

PW2

Commander

Yes, I am sure an investigation is in order, as it is hard to understand how the wake of any boat could be enough to capsize a boat capable of safely carrying 50 passengers.<br /><br />And the fact it sank so quickly (30 seconds, I heard) is also troubling.<br /><br />It was supposedly a warm calm day.<br /><br />Lots of unanswered questions.

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

Just had to post this. During the CNN update on this, they said something about now all is well with the queen of American lakes, Lake George. And all this time, I thought George was a king, not a queen. I really need to pay better attention.

Chief101

Chief Petty Officer

Breaking news? I heard that a couple of days ago... ;)

D

DJ

I think "SBN" should become a new news network.<br /><br />I want to get in on this.<br /><br />Terrible situation, no doubt.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Lake George Update for you... my information comes from my boss who's best friend runs a scuba school. Reliable information.<br /><br />I know that there was a scuba class going on not too far from the accident and there were 5 pro divers suited up. Sadly, they did not get to the accident site until 20 minutes passed. They made 2 911 calls and told the police they were available just needed transport. Finally a recreation boater picked them up after being flagged down. The divers had removed all the bodies but one by the time the State Police divers showed up. I know the gentleman who runs the school and he is still shaken from the incident. As per this gentleman he stated that the boat appeared to be overloaded and the bow was riding lower than the stern. The divers all had commented on the large crowd on the boat as it passed then 5 minutes earlier. When the boat attempted a turn to avoid a wake it swamped. The boat actually went down in 59' of water then settled at 70'. This same friend assited in raising the boat.