Breaking News!!

eeboater

Commander
Plane has crashed/over shot the runway in Toronto.<br /><br /><br />No details yet... developing.

Moody Blue

Captain
Re: Breaking News!!

Air france jet with 200 on board. Apparently struck by lightning and overshot end of runway. Crashed into ravine and caught fire. Still trying to get fire out.

eeboater

Commander

Video in lower left....<br /><br />---------------------------------<br /><br /><br /> http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/1123014388624_118423588/?hub=TopStories <br /><br /><br />assenger jet in flames at Toronto airport<br /><br />CTV.ca News Staff<br /><br />A passenger jet burst into flames after apparently skidding off the runway at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.<br /><br />Few details are known, and there is no word on whether there are any casualties.<br /><br />Police indicate the aircraft was an Air France jet that was trying to land when it ran into trouble.<br /><br />"An Air France plane landing on runway 2-4 left went off the end of the runway the area of Convert Drive and the 401 area in Mississauga," said Sgt. Glyn Griffiths.<br /><br />He couldn't say whether there were any injuries or if any passengers had been removed from the plane, but said there's been a full response by all emergency vehicles.<br /><br />Live television pictures show flames and smoke billowing from the aircraft in a tree-filled area near the airport.<br /><br />CTV Toronto's Jim Junkin reports that 200 people are thought to have been on board.<br /><br />Severe thunderstorms were hitting the area at the time of the accident. Witness Mark Yppelar told CTV Newsnet that he saw heavy lightning strikes in the area before he saw the aircraft on fire.<br /><br />The Greater Toronto Airport Authority is expected to hold a press conference at 5 p.m. ET.<br /><br />More later

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

CNN has picked up on live broadcast of scene and, as usual, being mercilessly shredded by Wolfe Blither.(edit: oops I mean Blitzer)

Link

Rear Admiral

Originally posted by dave gibson:<br /> everybody alive 14 minor injurys now thats lucky!
Man your fast! Beat me to it :D

PW2

Commander

That is amazing that no one apparently was killed!<br /><br />Canada prides themselves on their fire and emergency services, and apparently the first EMS crews were on site less than a minute after the event. I guess their pride is justified<br /><br />It usually take 15 minutes or so to empty a plane that big when it pulls up normally at the gate. 300 people got off safely, and in short order. Amazing.<br /><br />I fly in and out of that airport all the time. It's scary!

miloman

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I live 20 minutes from the airport and it is on my way home everynight I was stuck in traffic for 2 hours watching the entire thing unfold in real life. You should have seen the storms that rolled through here today