Breaking in new 4stroke

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi guys. My father just bought a brand new 18' crestliner canadian with a 50hp merc 4stroke. Its pretty sweet! Anyway we've been breaking it in per manual instructions. Now its got about 2.5 hrs on it. My question is whether I should change the oil now or just wait for the standard interval. Someone told me that the seating of the rings would put metal shavings in the oil and that therefore I should change it after the initial break in period? My father thinks I'm crazy.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Breaking in new 4stroke

It should be in his owner's manual, but I'd change the gearlube and engine oil if it was mine if the manual called for it or not for the very reason you state.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Merc says 100 hours, but I changed the oil and lower unit lube at 20 hours on my 90...

GreatRiverDucker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks men! I was leaning toward just changing it to be safe. He thinks its no big deal. Anyway I appreciate the input!:)
P.S. Willy I went to your website but it didn't seem to be working - none of the pictures loaded:( maybe its just my pc.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the heads-up. I checked it and it's working for me. It's a free provider and unfortunately has pop-ups. Maybe you have your pop-up blocker on and it's interfering. Frankly I'm amazed it still works at all. My stepdaughter's boyfriend set it up for me about 3 or 4 years ago.