breakers,fuses,disconnect

isis

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have a 20 ft 1973 boat with 125hp outboard.The wiring been tamper with over the years.My question is what is the code of safety from the 12volt positive to ground.I know all circuit should be on a fuse but should i have a reset circuit breaker @ the lead of the positive and a disconnect also?Any other safety issue would by appreicate.
Thanks

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: breakers,fuses,disconnect

The basic electrical system on a boat has a Red and Black power feed from the wherever the battery is to the circuit breaker or fuse panel. The head of that circuit (at the battery POS post, should have a fuse or breaker sized for the maximum amount of current the entire system can handle). At the breaker or fuse panel, every circuit will have a breaker or fuse as well. Those will be sized for the amount of current each circuit must supply. If a problem (e.g., a short) exists in the circuit between the battery and the fuse/breaker panel, the fuse or breaker at the battery would open to protect everything downstream. Obviously nothing would work. If a short or over current situation arose in any of the individual circuits driven from the fuse/breaker panel, only the fuse or breaker for the affected circuit would open. Everything else works normally.