breaker point question, '75 165 L6

ziggy

Admiral
so i R&R my breaker points every spring. i always just go get them from my local mercruiser dealer. oem part #34235T. item 14 here.
so i take my new points home, take the old one off and low and behold. i can't install the new ones. :eek: not only can't i install them, they don't have a pair of nuts to mount the connectors from the condenser and the coil. ok. i can think i can live w/o the nuts to mount the connectors. it looks like ya can slip the connectors behind the spring that loads the points. i didn't like this idea but could live with it. but when i tried to mount them, to get the screw that holds them down and allows ya to adj. them, the points had to be spread 3/8'' to line up the screw hole with the slot. i was on the flat side of the the dist. cam even. good grief, this can't be right. also, the slot ya stick yer flat blade screwdriver into to adj. the points is way off and would not allow ya to use a flat blade to adj. them.
so i go back to my dealer. he has several in bags. all with the proper part number on them. i agreed with him (the dealer, the owner even) on the part number. he used mercurser parts look up, i used the web and mercruiserparts.com.
imho. somethings up. these points are not the right part imho. is this a failure at the mercruiser end? i've been tuning up this boat for 6 years now. always got the points at the dealer, always the right part. this year i ended up having to use his only seirra points set (part # 18-5311 which replaces oem part # 34235) he had on hand. they were the right part and mounted up just fine, unlike 34235T...
whats up with this, anyone know?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: breaker point question, '75 165 L6

May have been miss-packaged at the factory.

CoffeeHound

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am finding miss-matching parts and inferior parts all the time .
Watch out very closely where the item was made , not where it was packaged !!

I am not pointy finggerin any country but but most of the prices do not reflect the quality.

Ditto Don ,, by some 10 year old sorting parts for overseas shipment lol

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ziggy:

I've noticed before that you're one of the stalwarts who still uses the old points system. I know, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but you should consider an upgrade to the Pertronix 1163A electronic conversion. No maintenance other than a quick look and lots of piece of mind. I put one on each of my rebuilds for give or take $100.00 and I've had no problems. Just a thought.

kilowatts

ziggy

Admiral

yep, seems like mis packaged is the likely answer. i guess this thread is just a heads up to others that may be purchasing some new oem breaker points.

I've noticed before that you're one of the stalwarts who still uses the old points system.
yep. a stalwart i think... :facepalm:
I know, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"
yep again. the mechanic that taught me told us that engine systems are all designed around ea. other to work proper. if ya change one part of the system it can affect other systems. sometimes not for the better. though i think going to elec. ign probably won't do any harm nor have any consequences other than not having to mess with points anymore. but i'm still a stalwart. i don't find it particularly inconvenient to mess with the points as that was what i was taught a long time ago.
thanks for the thought though. if i start having troubles getting the proper breaker points. i may indeed have second thoughts. if my boat didn't start up like it was fuel injected i'd have second thoughts too. but it does start as easy as fuel injected so i just keep plugging along... :)

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Hi Ziggy:

I've noticed before that you're one of the stalwarts who still uses the old points system. I know, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", but you should consider an upgrade to the Pertronix 1163A electronic conversion. No maintenance other than a quick look and lots of piece of mind. I put one on each of my rebuilds for give or take $100.00 and I've had no problems. Just a thought.

kilowatts

Ditto the Pertronics upgrade.

You may be surprised how much better it starts, idles, and performs with a hotter, more stable spark!

A very good investment, I've installed a number of them, all the owners have been well satisfied they made the choice.

ziggy

Admiral

You may be surprised how much better it starts,
how much better can it start? when cold, one full pump to set the choke, 1/8 throttle and it starts instantly. when warm, 1/8 throttle and it starts just shy of instantly. steady idle at 650 round abouts. i just aint buyin it. the same instructor that instructed me on mods also felt a well tuned, old tech engine could be just as reliable and fuel economical as newer engines. i beleive this. had me a '72 datsun 1200. plain and simple car. no emison controls to speak of. carb, points. when she was tuned up proper i'd get 40mpg. documented via fuel consumption and mileage logs.
points can work fine. perhaps a little more labor intensive, but imho, that just keeps 'me' in tune with my engine..
at this point, i'm gonna continue to be a stalwart... ;)

side note. at this point, my boat is still oem from '75. minor mods. stereo, horn, vhf, 12v cigg power sorce. but other than that. she's as she came from the factory. no mods to major systems. this i like for my old almost antique boat....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

Blue Streak DR-2240X ,slightly stronger spring, also used in Harley Davidson`s

achris

More fish than mountain goat

I'm all for 'If it ain't broke don't fix it', but I put a CDI system, that I built myself, on my old 165 and the difference was VERY noticeable. There was nothing wrong with the old 165 before, but it was so much nicer with the CDI... Plugs last longer, engine ran smoother, started easier (wasn't hard to start before either)..... Hey Ziggy, move with the times man..... Just saying... Adding CDI is not 'changing' the engine, it's improving it....

Chris........

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

I replaced the points in my '78 Harley with a breakerless kit (built by Harley).

Same change with my '79, been running it ever since!

Never have touched the timing again. Sweet!

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

when that huge solar flare comes our way, I`ll still be riding while the electronic ones sit.

achris

More fish than mountain goat

when that huge solar flare comes our way, I`ll still be riding while the electronic ones sit.

When that huge solar flares comes, whether the ignition system on the boat is working or not will be a LONG way down the list of things to worry about! :D :D

Chris......

kilowatts

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Ziggy:

Please excuse my presumption when I suggested the addition of a Pertronix system. After having read your posts over the last several years and knowing that you love your inline 6 almost as much as me, I thought you and the Pertronix would be a perfect fit! I still do, but it's your boat and if you're happy than we're done. However, the Luddites tried to stop the advent of machinery in the Yorkshire mills in the early 19th century, but we've still got machinery today. So with that in mind, and in my opinion, the old 165 would likely benefit from an electronic addition (upgrade). Although I have to agree with Chris, compared to a solar flare it's not really all that important, eh?

kilowatts

ziggy

Admiral

thanks to everyone who commented. i appreciate all comments. i didn't think you were being presumptuous kw. i understand the benefits of electronic ign. i think. i just don't have a problem with the way it is w/ breaker point ign system. assuming i can get the right breaker point set... ;)
as a side note, i'm also not the richest boater in the world. $10 for some breaker points i can deal with. a c note for elec. and something has to give to allow the resources to afford the mod... right now, i need a new cover for the boat. been needing one but don't want to spend. a matter of priority's. the cover would come first over mods. that's just the way i feel about it with the resources that i have...
a great day to all..... :)

Will Fish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

fair play to you ziggy on your priorities.

Thought I'd chime in, but the elect conversion kit is great. Motor cold starts right up without even needing throttle, and barely any throttle after sitting all winter (well that was before a bearing let loose - no there was no connection just a bad rebuild).

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Hey, I still have that old Harley point plate assy on the shelf, just in case.