Break out the dramamine.

dwco5051

Commander
lsv6.jpg

Fort Eustis, Va. – More pieces of the extensive Pentagon effort to build a pier and establish a sea route for humanitarian aid to Gaza departed from the East Coast this week.
On Tuesday, four Army watercraft left the pier at Fort Eustis, Va., sailing down the James River, to the Chesapeake Bay and the open Atlantic. Over the next 30 days, USAV SP4 James A. Loux (LSV-6) will sail at the head of a column of three smaller landing craft – USAV Montorrey (LCU-2030), USAV Matamoros (LCU-2026) and USAV Wilson Wharf (LCU-2011) – in a southern route across the Atlantic and into the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, off the coast of Gaza. On Sunday, USAV General Frank S. Besson Jr. (LSV-1) left the pier at Fort Eustis and more Army vessels are set to join the five that departed this week, officials said. The flat-bottomed cargo ships, assigned to the 7th Transportation Brigade of the 18th Airborne Corps, are part of the 500-soldier contribution to the Army-led mission to establish a pier on a beach in Gaza to provide humanitarian aid to Palestinians who are trapped in the region.

Thirty days on the deep blue in those flat bottom boats may be quite the trip for the newbies. Hope for calm water, I still remember North Wall Effect waves in February off the Carolinas years ago that made me wonder if I should update my will.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Flat bottom gets tippy, round bottom is even worst. Was on a USCG ice breaker WAGB 283

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Hope for calm water, I still remember North Wall Effect waves in February off the Carolinas years ago that made me wonder if I should update my will.
Makes for great fishing hole hou....lol

dwco5051

Commander
Hope for calm water, I still remember North Wall Effect waves in February off the Carolinas years ago that made me wonder if I should update my will.
Got me thinking what was the exact date. Found this; Official reports have seas running at 20' with swells 40+. Some unverified reports claim up to 60. The King was hit by three rogue waves in a row. I was attached to a sister ship that was scheduled to go through there at the same time but in the opposite direction but was held up for mechanical problems.
ddg41.jpg

Last edited:

flashback

Captain
A lot of memories off the cape. I hope the barges make it, technology willing, they will.