Break-In (NOT!)

tibb

Cadet
I have obtained a free Bass Tracker which was a gift. The boat and motor have been sitting un-used for close to 7 years(I know..sinful). I have read all the posts regarding winterizing and de-carboning, but if anyone feels the urge, I would certainly appreciate a very dumbed down, explanation of what steps I should take to prepare this engine for it's "maiden voyage". The Mercury 40 outboard is probably a mid to early 80's model (I don't know because I haven't received the paperwork yet). The prop turns freely and smoothly. Besides replacing the plugs, cleaning the carb and running seafoam through the system, any advice would be thoroughly appreciated.

phatmanmike

Captain
Re: Break-In (NOT!)

check compression.<br />take out plugs and pour some oil in the plug holes, let it sit for a day tilted all the way up so oil lubes all the rings and walls<br /><br />check/change all cracked,hard fuel and oil lines.<br />remove, rebuild/clean carb(s)<br />new plugs<br />new water pump kit<br />check thermostat if equiped<br />check all wiring for dry, cracked, faulty wires<br />drain lower unit oil and look for signs of water(white, milky looking) and look for signs of metal shavings( glitter, sparkles)<br />refill lower unit when done<br /><br />run some extra oil in the fuel mix for the first few hours of use, it definately wouldnt hurt it after sitting so long.<br /><br />and get a manual. <br />at the bottom of this page, on the left.

WildWillJAX

Seaman Apprentice

A good lube job at all of the grease fittings at the steering cable, and motor pivots would be advised also. Don't forget to follow the manual and lube all of the linkages and controls and don't forget the power tilt/trim if equiped. <br />If (GOD forbid)there is a malfunction of the engine during her maiden voyage, write down the symptoms as to the type of problem encountered, and the condition in which they (if any) occur. It helps when troubleshooting and future posting.

Equis

Cadet

I would also check/pack the trailer bearings & spray some lube on the rollers. :)