Break-In For 200hp Evinrude

Rob Fisher

Cadet
Just picked up my new Stratos yesterday and had a question for the experts in regards to the proper way to break in the motor. It is a 2003 200hp. Evinrude with Ficht Ram Injection. The dealer told me that to break it in it should take 5 hrs. They told me for the first hour I should run it no higher than 1500rpm and no longer than 5 minutes at a time. The second hour no more than 2500rpm w/ 5 min. rule and so on until I hit 5 hrs at 5500rpms. Now my problem is that the service manual says its for 10 hrs and in an almost oppisite way with running the motor at a high idle in gear for the first 10 min. than going up to 3500rpms for 50 min. no longer than 15 min. at a time . (confused yet? I am)The second hour I should take it up to full throttle to plane the boat and than come back down to 3/4 full throttle and at intervals apply full throttle 1-2 minutes and return back to 3/4. <br />For the next 8 hrs.I should avoid continuous full throttle for extended periods. I know I should probably just go by what the manual says bur the mechanic at the dealer insisted I do it the other way because he said its the best way to break in the Evinrude. So you can see my dilema. Any experts out there that can help me on this? Sorry so long. Thanks

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Break-In For 200hp Evinrude

Hi Hawg. <br /><br />I have a 1991 Stratos 290 S/F.<br /><br />What model did you get? <br />I'm not certain about what the manual says vs. the mechanic and I'm no expert but starting at the low ranging and working your way up sounds like the right way to go. Just like a car,You don't buy a brand new car and rev it to 4000 rpm right of the bat.And you don't drive 75 for 2 hours the moment you buy it. <br /><br /> You would pretty much do the stop and go bit.Kind of like city traffic.<br />Low rpm range for about 5 minutes and throttle back,little more for about 5 and throttle back.<br />Avoid high rpm's and extended higher rpms in the hour or 2 hours,maybe longer. Once again I'm not the expert you need here but my reply will put your post back up top and maybe will get one of the mechanics here to post.<br /><br />Just so you know, I have a '91 evinrude 200 Xp on mine and have never had any probs. Love it.<br /><br />Tom

jegervais

Chief Petty Officer

Take it from a factory trained Evinrude tech - me :D - Follow the recommendation in your owners manual. The engine provides it's own double-oiling for 5 hours, but only when it's run over 2000 rpm. Your owners manual is telling you it's best to run with the boat "on-plane" and that it's permissible to get it on plane using a short burst of power. You need to run the engine at a set rpm for up to 15 minutes, then change rpm (in increments of either 500 or 1000 rpm) and run at that rpm for up to another 15 minutes and keep repeating the process and going up in rpm as more time is put on the engine. <br /><br />The worst thing you can do is work the throttle like my teenage nephew does with his car, beating his right foot to the beat of that crap he calls music...<br /><br />I also recommend using only the Ficht Ram oil. I hope your dealer has a chance to get to the factory school in the near future, cause that's not what I've been told in school this year, or years past. <br /><br />-John

Hooty

Rear Admiral

John's got the ticket. Bombardier built the engine, wrote the manual and is warranting it so I think I'd go that away.<br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks John. You set me straight as well!!! <br /><br />Ignore my last post Hawg!!<br /><br />Tom

tscott

Petty Officer 3rd Class

oops!!!<br />My bad. I had a mechanic in St. Louis tell me that about a year ago.Evidently, he hasn't kept up.<br /><br />Thanks for setting us straight John.<br /><br />My '91 Rude still runs like a champ.<br /><br />Tom

Rob Fisher

Cadet

Hey guys, thanks for the great advice on the break in. I'll go with what John says. I gave the dealer a peice of my mind as well. I spoke to the folks at Evinrude and they said the same as John, to follow the manual(obviously) and also said if I broke it in the way the dealer told me to I could have had a problem with my warranty on the motor if they read the brain in the motor and saw that I broke it in the way the dealer told me to. Funny thing is the dealer gave me the Phone# to call at Evinrude once I told them I wanted it in writing and signed by the owner of the dealer or mechanic that they advised me to break it in that way. So they were just gonna let me do it the wrong way and I'm sure once there was a problem nobody would be taking the hit for it but me. So tomm. is the maiden voyage rain or shine and I'll be going into it with alot more confidence thanks to you guys. I love this web site and thanks to all those that put the time in to help us new boat owners out. By the way Tom I got the 2003 19Pro XL. :D :cool: