Break drum bearing ?

NateZ

Cadet
Both bearings failed in one of my break drums last weekend. The outer bearing is a no brainer, but the inner one wont come right out, there is some sort of ring (see pic) that is preventing me from pulling the old bearing out. Is this pressed in there? What is the procedure here for getting the old bearing out so i can put a new one in?

Nate

Attachments

• photo copy.jpg
    photo copy.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 0
Re: Break drum bearing ?

That's the grease seal, it should just pop out, but you'll need a new one. There is a tool designed to remove that, but what I've always done is screw the nut back on the axle and with the outer bearing out slip the drum back over and pull the inner bearing and seal out by pulling it against the nut.

Last edited:

skongolf

Seaman

Yep, that is your old grease seal. You can flip it over and knock it out with a long punch, or put a flat head screw driver against it at an angle and hammer toward the center of the drum to kink it in a couple places then remove with pliers. If you need to see it done look at etrailers web site and they have a video you can watch.

insearch

Seaman

Claw hammer (claw) works fine, for some reason the nut does not pull through the hub in mine

Josh P

Petty Officer 1st Class

ya knock it out some way, dont worry about damaging it because you should replace it anyway, they can get weak and let water in. What caused your bearing failure? what was it doing?