Bravo gimbal housing compatibility

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to replace the outer gimbal assembly plate for my bravo one. I have seen a few different items for sale and I'm not sure of the compatibility. Is there compatibility between the Alpha and the Bravo housing? Are there different gimbal housings for bravo, or are they all compatible?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
I need to replace the outer gimbal assembly plate for my bravo one. I have seen a few different items for sale and I'm not sure of the compatibility. Is there compatibility between the Alpha and the Bravo housing? Are there different gimbal housings for bravo, or are they all compatible?

The gimbal housing (Item 1) is not compatible with an Alpha.
http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show...33.png&inbr=5398&bnbr=60&bdesc=GIMBAL+HOUSING

Bravo drives are designed to handle more HP. The housing are the same, the gimbal rings and bell housings change depending on HP (X and XR)

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks, any compatability differences over the years?

I just looked at an 88and it had 6 studs and 2 bolts on the bottom, whereas my 96 has all studs

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Looks like the studs are either missing, or if the holes on the bottom are larger, then someone has drilled and taped them. They should all be studs, and it does look like a bravo with a lot of rust on the top pivot pin. Don't know what shape the pin and bearing is in from the pic, but will need a new seal at the least. Could be the person had some real rusting going on and replaced. I have one like it I replaced on my cruiser but not as much rust during my rebuild.

Fun Times

Staff member
Last edited: