Bravo gimbal bearing/ U-joints,....

SeattleMatt

Petty Officer 1st Class
For consistencies sake, I am reviving this thread with another related question.

What is the best way to determine if I have the larger u-joints on my 1996 B1? The Merc parts catalog refers to the A3 part for this year's B1. However I'd like to order the cheaper 18-2100 if I don't need the extra clearance.

Is there a measurement or way to observe if I will have a clearance problem?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... U-joints, 'n gimbel bearin's ain't got much to do with each other, the only consistent thing is yer question also relates to a Bravo,....
Don't be revivin' Dead threads,.... thank you,....

Pull yer drive, 'n Measure yer u-joints,...

Ya can't just put in different u-joints, 'cause they're cheaper,.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
For consistencies sake, I am reviving this thread with another related question.

What is the best way to determine if I have the larger u-joints on my 1996 B1? The Merc parts catalog refers to the A3 part for this year's B1. However I'd like to order the cheaper 18-2100 if I don't need the extra clearance.

Is there a measurement or way to observe if I will have a clearance problem?

18-2100 is a gimbal bearing... for $38.48... Which is the correct bearing for you Bravo drive... You don't need to measure anything, just buy that bearing and put it in....

All Mercruiser Alpha and Bravo drive gimbal bearings have been the same since 1970....

Chris......

45Auto

Commander
achris said:
All Mercruiser Alpha and Bravo drive gimbal bearings have been the same since 1970....

You think that Mercruiser bulletin 2009-13 is lying about the thinner inner gimbal bearing race required on the X, XZ, and XR Bravo drives (they have the bigger u-joints that the OP is asking about)? Why would they do that?

http://www.ravnsgarage.no/content/mm...0hekklager.pdf

IMPORTANT: The gimbal bearing inner race thickness changed to accommodate the larger U‑Joint used in the X, XZ and XR Bravo Drives. If an X, XZ or XR drive is installed on a transom with the thicker gimbal bearing, interference will occur between the U‑Joint and the bearing. Either one or both components will fail.

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
You think that Mercruiser bulletin 2009-13 is lying about the thinner inner gimbal bearing race required on the X, XZ, and XR Bravo drives (they have the bigger u-joints that the OP is asking about)? Why would they do that?

OP has a Bravo 1, not an X, XZ or XR drive. READ what I wrote!

Chris.....