Bravo 3 shifting

John Wilkinson

Recruit
When trolling at an idle the boat will go from forward to neutral but at higher speeds it's fine. Also it goes into reverse on demand with no problem. I've checked the linkage n everything seems tight. Any ideas?

tpenfield

Staff member
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Bravo outdrives have a cone clutch and sometimes the clutch does not engage fully at low speeds due to 'glazed' clutch surfaces. Not saying this is the issue, but it is something to consider. Usually it happens with forward, since that is used the most.

Tell us a bit more about the vintage (approximate model year) of the outdrive, (serial number), # of hours on the engine, etc. Is the gear oil full and is it the proper type? (Mercury/Quicksilver "High Performance" Gear Oil)

John Wilkinson

Recruit
Welcome to iBoats . . .

Bravo outdrives have a cone clutch and sometimes the clutch does not engage fully at low speeds due to 'glazed' clutch surfaces. Not saying this is the issue, but it is something to consider. Usually it happens with forward, since that is used the most.

Tell us a bit more about the vintage (approximate model year) of the outdrive, (serial number), # of hours on the engine, etc. Is the gear oil full and is it the proper type? (Mercury/Quicksilver "High Performance" Gear Oil)

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Yes, I found out it's the cone clutch. 99 crownline with a 5.7 n 24°pitch prop, can't find the serial number. Those clutch's are discontinued but I found a clean outdrive with a 2.0 gear ratio. How do I figure out what my ratio is?

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, I found out it's the cone clutch. 99 crownline with a 5.7 n 24°pitch prop, can't find the serial number. Those clutch's are discontinued but I found a clean outdrive with a 2.0 gear ratio. How do I figure out what my ratio is?
You don't have a serial number so how do you know the parts are discontinued? Unless you have a first or second Gen drive (before 1993) then getting parts is not an issue