brand new Lund with wet transom

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwangler

Recruit
I just bought a brand new 2016 Lund SSV 14. Immediately after drilling the transom to bolt on the outboard, water ran out of the holes. The dealer tells me that's not a problem, because the transom cap is not meant to be watertight and water inside the aluminum transom skin is not unusual or cause for concern. He insists the wood is treated and will not rot. The boat was stored outside in the rain at the dealer.
I'm no boat expert and this is my first boat purchase, but I'm still having trouble accepting a brand new boat that already has a wet transom. Is this acceptable? Is it a serious design flaw even in the respected Lund brand?

hosteter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am a carpenter.belive me you can not tread a wood not to rot.cant belive that in new boat is water in transom.it must be water tight.in every case the wood starts to rot wen there is moisture and water.you must seal the holes where you bolt the motor on.everithing must be water tight.i just replaced my transom.the plywood fall apart .

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cost is a major factor in why not composite.

Nwangler, any feedback from Lund about your NEW Lunds wet transom?

Last edited by a moderator:

cooterdude

Seaman Apprentice
your transom will rot and fall apart i have a 98 18ft adventurer with the same problem im going to pull the motor off of it and replace the wood with solid surface counter-top material sourced from my local habitat for humanity re store found a 10 ft long 21/2 inch thick piece of Corian for 20 bucks

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
im going to pull the motor off of it and replace the wood with solid surface counter-top material sourced from my local habitat for humanity re store found a 10 ft long 21/2 inch thick piece of Corian for 20 bucks

A transom needs more than just compressive strength. It needs a lot of strength from end to end also. I don't see Corian having that.

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
Completely unacceptable, in fact I have been advised on this site that it's so important to keep water out that when I was drilling holes into a newly rebuilt Transom, to drill over sized holes, put tape on one side, fill holes back up with marine grade 2 part epoxy, let it dry completely, then drill into the epoxy the smaller holes needed to mount anything to Transom. How long have you had the boat?

titaniumneck

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm pretty sure you paid a good price for the boat. If the company will not make it right, definitely before bolting anything to Transom, I would take my time and replace the wood with some composite, marine grade wood is going to rot, and if it's already holding water, it's already starting to rot. Water trapped in with wood In dark, never see's the light of day, that wood is going to rot faster than a piece of wood that gets air and sunshine.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Cooter, mwangler was a 1 and done poster, over a year ago.

Start a topic about your project and possibly using Corian as a transom plywood substitute. But as mentioned above, I too think it a poor choice. Even on an I/O boat.

This Lund was an OB boat, so a 2+in thick transom might be too thick. Delending on how the OB mounts.

Closed, after 90days of innactivity, best to leave topics in the archive only, amd dont post to them

Status
Not open for further replies.