Brakes

DanN

Recruit
What is the proper adjustment for drum brakes? I have a tandem axle trailer and have recently repacked all four hubs and adjusted the shoes out so they were just barely making contact with the drum. On the last 40 mile trip to the lake I took note that the regular hubs were cool and the ones with the brakes were very hot. Hot to the point I could not hold them for more than a few seconds. <br /><br />Also is it normal to get some noticeable clunking from the actuator while stopping and starting.<br /><br />Thanks for any help <br />The brake challanged

Paddling

Seaman
Re: Brakes

Hi DanN, You didn't say what type of brakes you have, hydraulic or electric. Adjust your brakes by tightning the shoes until you can't turn the wheel by hand then back off about 12 clicks or until the wheel will turn freely. If hydraulic, the clunking may be caused by low fluid level in the resovoir. The piston then moves too far too fast. You may need to bleed the system. May be this web site will give you some worth while info. http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#article index

DanN

Recruit

Thanks for the web site, it was extremely helpful. So I adjusted the brakes like their suppose to be, and then opened the brake fluid reservoir. I can tell that it's low, but to see how low I stuck a clean screw-driver in and it came out with brown sludge on the end. Also the brake fluid is the color of used motor oil. I know this isn't right but how did it get this way? and how do I fix it? I'm sure I need to flush the system but I don't want to push any of that sludge through the lines.<br /><br />As a side note: I just purchased this boat and trailer and it's six years old. I've never had a tandem axle boat trailer let alone one with surge brakes. When I took it out on the road I noticed that the brakes do work but not as well as I think they should.<br /><br />Thanks for any more light on this.<br />The Brake Challenged

Paddling

Seaman

DanN, I have a magic tilt tandem trailer with surge brakes that definitely work. I know on a couple of occasions some bozo has pulled out in front of me and I've stopped hard enough to lock up the trailer wheels. When they are working right you should feel the trailer drag you to a stop at every light or stop sign. Brake fluid absorbs moisture and over time collects enough water to begin to rust the parts from the inside out. You definitely need to clean your reservoir and flush out the lines and wheel cylinders. I would disconnect the lines at all connections and clean everything with brake cleaner/air. I've even used high pressure water at times and just flushed the water out with clean brake fluid after. You just gotta do what works. If you dunk those wheels in salt water a fresh water flush kit will maybe double the life of the brakes. Good luck.