Brakes lock in reverse--EZ Load Trailer stuck in a bad spot with my boat on it

dmillerss

Cadet
My 2008 dual axle EZ Load seemed to have problems with the brakes locking when I'm backing the trailer up. Doesn't seem to happen when there's no boat on the trailer. Now I'm really stuck... can't pull forward anymore, and the brakes are locked when I back up. I've tried everything I could, disconnecting from vehicle, disconnected the lights cable, etc.

Two questions:

(1.) If I use a chain from the back of my vehicle to the back of the trailer, would I be able to pull the trailer backwards 10 or 20 feet?
(2.) I really don't even need the brakes; the trailer never travels for more than a couple blocks. Is there a way I can disable them?

thanks in advance; I'm in a pickle ...

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Brakes lock in reverse--EZ Load Trailer stuck in a bad spot with my boat on it

What kind of brakes are you talking here? Surge, electric, hydraulic? Drum, disk?

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Brakes lock in reverse--EZ Load Trailer stuck in a bad spot with my boat on it

Should have a lockout pin or hole you can put something through to disable... OR a receptical in the wiring for a 5th wire if newer disc.

oldjeep

Admiral

How many pins are on your trailer connector?

dmillerss

Cadet

Should have a lockout pin or hole you can put something through to disable... OR a receptical in the wiring for a 5th wire if newer disc.

I'll look through the documentation; haven't been able to learn anything through internet search except that lots of people have had this problem. Any thoughts on pulling the trailer backwards using a chain?

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is there any chance that you activated the emergency brake?

Harry

dmillerss

Cadet

How many pins are on your trailer connector?

What's interesting is my Explorer has 3 female and one male pin ... the trailer though has 5 connectors ....

dmillerss

Cadet

Is there any chance that you activated the emergency brake?

Harry

Perhaps ... but forward seemed OK? And how would i de-activate an emergency brake?

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

What's interesting is my Explorer has 3 female and one male pin ... the trailer though has 5 connectors ....

So that is your problem... You need a 5th pin, one which controls the solenoid to release the brakes. There SHOULD be a way to do this manually, but I've seen cases where installing the solenoid removes the manual option entirely, it covers the hole where you would shove a pin in...

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

The way I read the post is that the brakes are locked forward and backwards
like said above you need a 4 to 5 pin adapter under $10
that should ix it all

superbenk

Commander

You need to apply power to the 5th wire (blue) to engage the bypass solenoid that disables the brakes for reverse. A 5-wire harness will be wired into the reverse lights on your vehicle such that when you go into reverse gear & your backup lights come on, the bypass solenoid gets power & releases the brakes.

You can usually find a harness kit for most vehicles that just plugs into your vehicle wiring behind the bumper without the need to cut any wires. Check at your local auto parts store.

Without the solenoid activating, going in reverse compresses the master cylinder in the trailer tongue causing it to act like your braking which causes the trailer brakes to engage. If you can't activate the bypass solenoid you should be able to wedge a screw driver in the tongue such that it can't compress & back it up that way. Don't drive around with the screw driver wedged in there though as 1) it'll keep your brakes from working & 2) could fall out and end up in a tire or something.

Thalasso

Commander

can't pull forward anymore, and the brakes are locked when I back up.

Doesn't matter how many pins the plug has or doesn't have. It will not move forward. As said above see if the emergency brake lever on the actuator is tripped.What type of actuator do you have. Backing up empty probably doesn't put enough force on the actuator to apply the brakes. You will need the 5 pin eventually if there disc brakes. Drum brakes are free backing and shouldn't apply to the point of locking up when backing

Last edited:

superbenk

Commander

can't pull forward anymore, and the brakes are locked when I back up.

I didn't get that they're locked up going forward from the OP's post. Maybe I misunderstand. The way I read it the OP simply ran out of space to move forward & can't back the trailer up either (thus the being stuck part). If that's not the case then I agree that OP should look for the emergency lock lever on the top of the actuator and see if it's tripped.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

op you can most likely get out of your jam by unplugging the wiring and turning it sideways.... plug the 4th (last) male terminal of the trailer plug into the first female terminal of the vehicle end and turn on the parking lights..... most likely you will get a good enough ground through the ball hitch but you MIGHT have to use jumper cables to get a good ground..... depending on the type of release on the trailer you MAY also need to chock the trailer tiers and pull ahead a couple inches to release the brakes and then back up.....

In the long run you need the 5 wire harness as mentioned above but personally I prefer a manual toggle switch to power the 4th terminal instead of (OR in addition to) the backup lights for times when you have to stop on a downhill and then back up

Last edited:

Thalasso

Commander

I didn't get that they're locked up going forward from the OP's post. Maybe I misunderstand. The way I read it the OP simply ran out of space to move forward & can't back the trailer up either (thus the being stuck part). If that's not the case then I agree that OP should look for the emergency lock lever on the top of the actuator and see if it's tripped.

Ya you could be right because on another post this is what's said.

Perhaps ... but forward seemed OK? And how would i de-activate an emergency brake?

04fxdwgi

I wouldn't use a chain and drag the trailer, if it can be avoided. You may wind up damaging something / bending the frame.

From the way you describe what's hppening, sounds like the emergency brake function has been activated and must be reset. If you are sure it's not the emergancy brake messing you up, it has not been activated, there may be a work around to allow you to move the trailer.

To reset the emergency brake lock, you need to look at the documentation for the type of actuator you have. On my Titan/Dyco, I need to use a big screwdriver to pop the locking brackets open, or unbolt one of the locks to release the lever to return to normal. Your's may be different, but the OEM manual will explain how to do it. It's strictly a mechanical lock and pretty simple once you see it.

If you have hydraulic disc brakes, with a 5 pin connector, there will be a solenoid right behind the master cylinder, with the blue wire connected to it. If there is a 3rd hydraulic line from the solenoid back to the master, then it's a release type. If no 3rd line, then it's a blocking type.

If you have the release type solenoid, try this. Run a 12 VDC power source directly from the vehicle to the release solenoid. Or temporarilly jumper the 5th pin (blue wire for the solenoid) to the brown wire (for the running lights). Turn on your parking / head lights and try moving the trailer. This should release all the brake fluid pressure to the brakes and release them, even if the emergency brake function is locked.

If you have the blocking type solenoid, do not try this, as it could keep brakes locked if pressure is already applied. To move the trailer a short distance, you could disconnect the one brake line going back to the brakes to release all the pressure, but you'll need find and fix the origional problem, reconnect, refill and bleed once it's parked where you want it.

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

remember, what triggers the brake is the pressure against the hitch/tongue set-up. If the trailer were disconnected from the car, but first pull forward an inch to pull the actuator out, then it should free wheel forwards or backwards. So in that respect, AND IF EVERYTHING WAS IN GOOD WORKING ORDER, you could pull it backwards with chains or even push it backwards as long as not by the tongue.

Before I got my electric actuator working right, I could back slowly on level ground but not uphill, unless I put the lock-out pin in to prevent the compression (use the same pin you put through the latch). I also found that my solonoid wasn't working due to the connection and fixed that with a big slab of dialectric grease all up in there.

gtochris

op you can most likely get out of your jam by unplugging the wiring and turning it sideways.... plug the 4th (last) male terminal of the trailer plug into the first female terminal of the vehicle end and turn on the parking lights..
I've done this in the past when I borrowed a vehicle with the wrong plug (only had standard 4 pin) and it works every time.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I used to haul boats commercially and I would do that when I needed to back one up a hill