Brakes for a 23 foot trailer - need advice

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking at making an offer on a 23 foot boat weighs approx 4000lbs but I?m trying to figure out how much it will cost to add brakes to the trailer.

Its currently on an EZ loader dual axel trailer. Owner says it has emergency drum brakes on it, I guess the type that lock if it became separated from the tow vehicle.

My tow vehicle is a 2000 Explorer with the V8. my longest tow would be about five miles. And that would be infrequent as most cases it would be stored about 50 yards from the launch so I don?t need brakes for that. But it freaks me out to pull a boat that big even a short distance on a normal road without brakes.

How much does it cost to add brakes to a trailer like this? Can I use the drum brakes that are currently on there somehow? Again, my towing would be limited, but want the option to do so if necessary.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Brakes for a 23 foot trailer - need advice

id say that brakes are a real good idea.
This thread is going to bring on a ton of opinions,
I like electric, they are simple and not much maintance.
Id go to the local trailer shop and look at the options and make your choice from there.
hydro's are going to require modifying the trailer tongue for the surge device.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks for the advice...

Does anyone have any idea how much it would run to make this happen? I have enough $$ to buy the boat, and need to budget for the brakes accordingly. Just trying to scope out what kinda cost its gonna run me. More importantly, how much madder my wife will be beyond just the boat purchase.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

A set of Kodiak disc brakes will run you $240. If you need a new actuator figure $149 including the lock out valve. Figure another $60 if you have to replace all the break lines.

Sinko

Seaman

Just had a surge brake system installed on a single axle this week by a marine mechanic. Parts and labour ran approximately $1000 cdn which included new bearings etc. No brakes were on the trailer previously.