Brake drum removal with buddy bearing?

Bski

Seaman
I tried pulling the brake drum off my trailer but it doesn't want to come free. The buddy bearing is secured with what appears to be a cotter key and some sort of nut but I can't get the cotter key off cause it's down inside the housing.<br /><br />Is it necessary to take the nut off the bearing to get the drum to come free or do I need some sort of puller to free the drum?<br /><br />Trailer is a 1997 DHM with tandem axles, surge brakes (drum) on the two front wheels.<br /><br />Any advice or suggestions as to how I can free this drum would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Brad

tommays

Admiral
Re: Brake drum removal with buddy bearing?

you need to remove the buddy which it sounds like you did<br /><br />then remove the cotter pin and nut and you should be able to remove the drum<br /><br />some times the drum will have a hard time getting past the brake shoes and the brake adjuster will have to moved <br /><br /> http://www.easternmarine.com/em_showroom/tech_articles.html <br /><br />good tech help<br /><br /><br />
5438.jpg
<br /><br />adjuster on the bottom of photo<br /><br />tommays

Bski

Seaman

tommays, I didn't remove the buddy bearing cause I wasn't able to get the cotter key out. The housing that surrounds the hub was about 1.5" deep and I couldn't get in there to pull the cotter key out, otherwise I would have removed the nut on the spindle and pulled it off.<br /><br />Is it possible that this housing pulls off first and then I can access the cotter key?<br /><br />I've done brakes on many cars and trucks and the only difference here is that the chrome housing is over the cotter key and nut so I can't get to them. The housing I'm referring to is what holds the cap that has the grease fitting on it and it's got a spring behind it. There is a snap ring on top keeping it installed and then a snap under the spring which I thought would allow the drum assmebly to pull off of the spindle when it was removed. <br /><br />I don't think the brakes are holding the drum cause it spins with no drag, in fact they are probably way out of adjustment.<br /><br />Like I said, if it's the nut and cotter key I can't get that cotter key out without removing the chrome sleeve first.<br /><br />Thanks for the help. If you have any other ideas I would like to hear them. Unfortunately I don't have immediate access to the trailer, it's a few hours from where I am right now so I have to take notes and try and get it apart when I can get back up there.

chugger

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You should be able to get the bearing buddy off without taking off the nut. The instructions say to place a block of wood on one side of the chrome protector and hit it with a hammer. Then move the block of wood to the other side and do the same. Repeat the process from side to side and the collar should walk out of the axle shaft. I'm assuming of course that your bearing buddy is similar to mine. Did you have to take a 'C' clip , spring and diaphragm out to get to the nut?

Bski

Seaman

chugger, now I understand, the collar (chrome sleeve) is all a unit in itself. I thought that collar was part of the drum assembly and didn't realize that it came out. Now it makes more sense as to how to get to that cotter key!<br /><br />I never realized that the bearing buddy was a unit by itself, after owning boats for 20 years I learned something new.<br /><br />Did a search of bearing buddy, found this: http://www.bearingbuddy.com/installation.html <br /><br />When I can get back up there I'll try the hammer and wood method.<br /><br />Thanks for the help to you guys, this has been a great site for help.<br /><br />Brad

tommays

Admiral

at 49 and a wrench in my hand every day i still learn new tricks from the guy thats 55 and the ones thats 18 ;) <br /><br />tommays

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A bearing buddy is an interference fit in the hub, just like the dust cap was on the front wheels of a rear wheel drive car.