boy do I need help!

detailer

Seaman Apprentice
Okay members and experts, here goes... This is my first boat (used) and it's pretty old. It's a 14.5' Caddo fishing hull with a 55hp Chrysler (magnapower/electronic ignition) model #559H9L serial #4981. I guess the first thing I need to know is what year is my engine?<br /><br />The next thing I need to know is... WHAT THE HECK HAPPENED???? Here's my delemna, I replaced the bilge pump, battery, cleaned out the old fuel, added fresh fuel and oil mixture, checked and replaced leaking fuel line, put on the muffs and fired her up. <br /><br />The idle was a little rough and the motor would sputter out and die. Me and a buddy adjusted the idle and got the boat to run at idle and at higher rpms, still a little rough though...<br /><br />At this point we decided it was time to test the old girl on the water. We dropped the boat in the lake, started her right up, parked the trailer and off we went. In the lake we didn't notice the rough idle/run as much. We ran out to a couple of spots and wet some hooks, no problems. Of course we had only run the engine for short amounts of time.<br /><br />We decided to head down to an old road bed and try some catfishing at the other end of the lake. We're moving along just fine (about 5-10 minutes) then all of a sudden the boat just died. We tried to start it back up but had no luck. Thank God for trolling motors!<br /><br />I pulled it home after trying several times at the lake to restart the engine. Got home, threw on the muffs and tried some more... nothin! Pulled the cover off the magnapower case and pulled one of the plugs (couldn't get on the other one yet). It appears to have good spark and clean (funny looking) plugs, also appears to be getting fuel. What am I missing?<br /><br />Thanks for any help!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: boy do I need help!

"clean (funny looking) plugs" ???<br /><br />Like someone just steam cleaned them???<br /><br />Would indicate water in cylinder, possibly from a blown head gasket, and also causing loss of compression.<br /><br />Time to check the compression.<br />If low, time to pull the head.

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks roscoe! What should the compression be on this motor? The funny looking part of the plugs may be normal... they have no gap adjustment. Im really new to this whole boat motor thing but I learn fast. Also, do you know what year this engine is or how to find out? I'm pretty sure having a manual for the right year model would help, right?<br /><br />Thanks again,

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Hello detailer. Your motor is a 1979 motor. I suspect one of the problems with your motor is you have the wrong spark plugs in it. Your motor calls for a QUL-77V spark plug. It is not specked for a gapless plug. The qul plug is a noise suppression spark plug that is designed not to interfere with electronics on board. I woulld just go to an auto parts store and get two L82C plugs. I have been using them for a year now and have noticed no problems with any onboard electronics. Are both tips on your plugs black and grimy or do they look clean. When motor was running did you notice water coming out the back end?

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the info on the engine, eurolarva (is that like spanish fly before it matures?) LOL Im going to be checking the compression today so I'll go ahead and switch out those plugs, they aren't black and grimy, they look new. Also, when the motor was running there was water coming out the back but not continuously. I'll let you guys know what I find... I'm sure Im going to need some more help with this b4 it's all over.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Clean plugs arent a good sign. When you test your compression make sure you pull both plugs and keep them connected to the wires and ground out the tips. Keep them away from the open cylinder as much as possible. Also it is best to do compression on a warm engine. Good luck

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

well guys, thanks for all the help so far. you'll probably be disappointed in me though, i gave up and took her to a shop. the guy is going to swap me out some detailing work on his Dale Earnhardt Intimidator (bass boat). not too bad a deal, i'll get a ton of work from him once i've cleaned his boat.<br /><br />talk to you soon

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Please post what the mechanic does to your motor. Enquiring minds want to know. I use eurolarva for ice fishing. It is similar to a wax worm however it is a fly larva that is in the larva stage during winter. I mainly fish pan fish and they work good for sunfish and crappie.

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

Will do, eurolarva. I met a guy a couple of weeks ago from Chicago that uses wax worms to catch sunfish down in Texas. The crappie spawn just died off here, boy did we have some fun! The largest one this season was caught by my 9 yr old son, 15"! I think he's "hooked", :D As soon as I get this little boat going we're going to get back after them.

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

So, uhhhh if I heated the engine up too much and scored a cylinder, how much should the rebuild cost me? The mechanic that's looking at it sells used/rebuilt motors. He says that if I have done major damage, it's not worth fixing. He said he could hook me up with a freshly rebuilt 71' 70hp Johnson for about $1400 with the trade-in of my engine (about $400 for the trade-in). Is that a good deal or should I rebuild the Chrysler 55? :confused:

detailer

Seaman Apprentice

Okay... new deal, the guy at the boat shop says he'll give me an 85hp Chrysler (lots of new parts... water pump, head(s), carbs, lower unit and prop) for $600 + a boat detail, installed and lake ready. Should I get the new motor or try to rebuild the 55hp? :confused: