bowrider trolling motor questions

jpv

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 19ft Wellcraft bowrider....this Spring I want to mount a hand controlled bow mount trolling motor. My questions are........
Can I get away with a 12 volt system for lake use or do I have to go with a 24 volt system with more lbs of thrust?
What legnth shaft on the trolling motor will I need?...my boat is a pretty standard 19ft bowrider...
If I got a wild hair.....could I use a freshwater trolling motor in salt water and just rinse very well when I pull it out of the water?
Is mounting an on board charger the way to go?

Thanks

FAC

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: bowrider trolling motor questions

you should get the best trolling motor you can afford the higher quality ones are more efficient, if you have space for two batteries then a 24v system is the way to go. i am not completely sure how to measure them, but i would think you could measure from the mounting point to the water line and buy the shaft size that would put the prop under water, i think you could get away with rinsing a freshwater motor really well, but i would be Leary about using it often in saltwater. An onboard charger would be a really nice thing to have.

Forrest

jpv

Seaman Apprentice

Crap! Sorry guys....I took most of the winter off from iboats so I am a little rusty. I should have done a search first....I wasnt aware there was a trolling motor section......that being said.....any responses are appreciated.

Jim

S&F180SEI

Recruit

I have a 65 pd thrust 24 volt minn kota on my 18 foot ski and fish, which is basically just an 18 foot bow rider and it moves the boat around pretty good but I don't think I would want anything smaller. Mine is a 54 inch and I dont have any problems with it coming out of the water, even on windy days.