Bowrider Broken Windshield Options

gibbsd

Recruit
The storage facility my 1994 Celebrity Status 240 bowrider was stored at for the winter collapsed due to heavy snow. To make a long story short, the cost to repair is more than my policy is worth, so the insurance company is cutting me a check for the policy amount and allowing me to keep the boat to do with as I wish. I had planned to purchase a newer boat, but this boat is in such good shape I'm considering keeping it, at least until I find something else I want.

So the big question is what to do about the broken windshield so that the boat is usable. Taylor Made no longer has the mold for my boat so I'd have to get custom work done or replace the entire 5-piece windshield with a new one. Needless to say, this has turned out to be a $5K - $7K ordeal, much more than I'm willing to spend. So I'm thinking of either attempting to bend the frame back and cut plexiglass to fit (if possible), or just removing the entire windshield and perhaps placing one of those small windshields like you see on a bass boat around the console area. Any thoughts on these two options? Any other options I'm not thinking of? Again, not wanting to spend a lot of money given my current intentions of how I'm planning to use the boat. I attached a pic of the damage, hopefully it shows up in the thread.

Attachments

• Windshield close-up2.JPG
    Windshield close-up2.JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 0

DBreskin

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Bowrider Broken Windshield Options

One option for you is to find another boat with a good windshield but in otherwise poor condition; buy it for the windshield and part out or scrap the rest. You may be able to buy a poor condition boat for less than $2000.

It's likely that Celebrity used the same windshield on several different models. You can check slightly larger or smaller boats to see if their windshield will fit yours. Other brands may also fit, although perhaps not as well as the OEM part.

woosterken

Lieutenant

you dont say where you are, but see if there is a boat salvage yard around, or watch e-bay or craigs list for a boat like yours that is junk except for the wind shield.

woosterken

gibbsd

Recruit

Thanks for the replies. I have checked other Celebrity's for sale, nothing yet close but I'll keep my eye out. Hadn't thought of the boat junk yards, I'm in the Chattanooga, TN area so I'll look around Atlanta, GA and Knoxville, TN.

woosterken

Lieutenant

gib, check out laniermarine.net they are a salvage yard just out side atlanta ga.

woosterken

nlain

Commander

You might try these, I know they are in Florida but if they have what you need they can ship it to you. Surplusunlimited.com, Daytona Beach, Fl; daytonasurplusmarine.com, Daytona Beach, Fl; donsmarinesalvage.net,Clearwater Fl

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

also Budget Boats in Chesapeake Virginia.

Or buy 5-6 sets of swim goggles and issue them to your passengers.

TilliamWe

Banned

... Taylor Made no longer has the mold for my boat so I'd have to get custom work done or replace the entire 5-piece windshield with a new one. Needless to say, this has turned out to be a $5K - $7K ordeal...

Once again the "less than honest" people at Taylor Made strike. This is what they say to EVERYONE that asks about a windshield. They are so full of it!

Salvage yard is the best option. And I'll bet a nickel that there is more than one model and make of boat that uses your EXACT windshield. A good salvage yard will know and fix you up with a replacement. Best of luck.

Anyone want to start a company to compete with the clowns at Taylor Made and run them out of business, with me? Please please please, it'll be so much fun! :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looking at that picture...it appears that you've got a fairly wide mounting area for the windshield. I bet you could adapt a shield from a number of different models and be able to make something work.

Not that this applies to you but on my old boat, I was able to go from this http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/09.jpg to this http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/Boat Project/boat2.jpg
Basically if you can figure out a way to bolt it on....it can work!

bekosh

Lieutenant

That sucks!
Another place to check online is Great Lakes Skipper. They are in Wisconsin but ship nationwide.
Looking on their site, they have several windshields that look similar to yours. GLS Windshield page.

Otherwise, if the frame isn't bent badly, you might check for a local place that can custom bend a sheet of acrylic to fit.

I broke my windshield last summer and replaced it with .220 inch thick acrylic, the brand was Optrix. It's supposed to be 10x stronger than glass and shatterproof. I was able to do the work myself because my windshield was mostly flat.

Good luck to ya.:cool:

Attachments

• ButtedesMorts9-12-098.jpg
    ButtedesMorts9-12-098.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 0