Bowrider boat for NYC on the Hudson River

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
wm+550+two+boys.jpg

A good friend, his two boys, and I had a blast in a 20-foot bow rider on the Hudson River. At first I wondered whether we would need a larger boat for that waterway. So, in a sense, this post is about how to have fun with what you?ve got.

wm+550+geo+heading+north.jpg

The George Washington Bridge.

wm+550+geo+heading+south+towards.jpg

It was a perfect fall day to use a trailer-able boat that can be kept on a driveway and taken over the highway, launched, and used to explore/experience many interesting places on our waterways. The shore-side scenery was spectacular and the sights on the water were special. It seemed to be a fun and safe day for the conditions.

We went boating on the Hudson River, between the Geo Washington Bridge to the south and the Tappan Zee Bridge to the north. Both bridges connect NJ to Manhattan and have heavy city traffic. And we had the pleasure of cruising below all the frenzy?and having good fun in a great boat with a capable skipper and two quick-to-help young men who watched and somewhat modeled our behavior. This trip was a perfect example of how boats, kids, and family fun go together. Here?s a selection of what we enjoyed:

wm+550+half+moon.jpg

This is a replica of Henry Hudson?s ship, the Half Moon. Henry sailed the Half Moon up river from here in 1609 and ?discovered? the area that we now call Albany, NY. He traveled further north to the lower section of the Champlain Canal, up to about the location of its Lock One today.

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Bowrider boat for NYC on the Hudson River

wm+550+geo+washington+bridge+and+lighthouse.jpg

This lighthouse was the focal point in Swift?s book, ?The Little Red Lighthouse and the Great Grey Bridge?. In 1920 this Jeffrey Point light replaced the two lights that were first in this location back in 1885. Now the lighthouse is deactivated and on the National Register of Historical Places.

wm+550+red+lighthouse.jpg

This NYC area Fire Boat gave an eye-popping display of water spray--maybe to celebrate the great weather and calm river water conditions with the Tappan Zee bridge in the background.

wm+550+fire+boat+and+tappan+bridge.jpg

The breathtaking cliffs and foliage shown here are the Palisades. They extend for roughly 12 miles from about Fort Lee, NJ to just south of the Tappan Zee Bridge. They also extend inland for a longer 30 mile stretch.

This sure was a memorable day cruise that had lots of fun and sights to see.

wm+550+palisades+long.jpg

wm+550+palisades+trees.jpg

wm+550+palisades+tight.jpg

45Auto

Commander

Good post. We like to cruise the waterways just to see what's out there. Interesting to see what's in other parts of the country.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes...I agree..Great post..I have a 20 footer and have always wanted to travel up to Lake Erie..but my concern has always been..."Is it big enough".

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My thanks to the board member who moved this post to its correct heading. I'll get the hang of the right forums, right post soon, I hope.

Joe Jackson

Recruit

I plan on using my new Bayliner 175 18 footer on the Hudson. I'm near Peekskill and the Hudson on the weekends during the summer can be dangerous. The wakes go to the shore then back out again. There is also the possibility of coming around a bend and seeing a HUGE empty towering barge coming down the river. Monster wake, better know ahead of time what your gonna do.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

That's my old stompin' grounds. Worked at Standard Brands in Peekskill and lived there and in Beacon. I learned to waterski in a 16 footer off Storm King and we used to anchor at that beach just south of Bannerman's Island arsenal--across the tracks from the Breakneck lodge (is it still there--the lodge?). Matter of fact, I once waterskied (slalom too) from Peekskill to the Tappan Zee.
I circumnavigated Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty in a 15 foot closed bow-- the one in my avatar--and I cruised that boat up the Hudson, through the locks, into Canada and down the St. Lawrence. Stopped on the way at a small unused dock and hiked over to see Ft. Ticonderoga. Lake Champlain? What can I say? A summer paradise. Remember when hundreds of liberty ships were anchored off Peekskill? Took my father out there once in March. Told him to dress warmly. Since he knew it all, he only wore a sweatshirt in an open boat. Damn near froze to death. Me and my buddy waterskied once in wet suits early in the year while chunks of ice were floating down the river. Family had a summer place in Copake N.Y. and we used to drive over to Hudson N.Y., launch there and picnic at Coxsackie Island. Four foot tides so we left one boat far out to ski with while the others were high and dry. Lit campfires at night and necked with our main squeeze. Once my buddy and another friend cruised up from Peekskill to Hudson with a girl in a 16 foot Chrysler. She thought they were only going for a short cruise and only had her bathing suit--nothing else, not even a towel. When they got to Hudson she was beat! They called us and we picked them up. The girls exact words were: "A crazy Jew, a crazy Polack, and a case of beer. Never again!" Then she fell asleep in the car. Now, don't kill me for being politically incorrect--remember this was the early '70s.
Your post brought up a lot of old memories.

Yes, the Hudson can be a great boating experience--but it can get very nasty, very quickly.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Hudson is a great trip. Did it in my 14' MFG Niagara on a nice day. Current can be strong! And the George Washington bridge is really a spectacular view from the water.

Great photos!

seabuddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Good day boating for us.

blues

Seaman

interesting and great pics, is this salt water or a blend of salt and fresh?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

interesting and great pics, is this salt water or a blend of salt and fresh?

Salt and tidal. You need to go up the hudson a ways to get to pure fresh water.

electricjohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

The river is a nice sight all the way up. If you kept heading north you could have seen Sing Sing, Bear Mountain state park and West Point. Harlem to the south of the GWB is even nice from the water.