Bow rising under power

Jascoff541

Recruit
I have a 79 Reinell with a OMC 800 Stringer stern drive. Whenever I throttle forward the bow raises and it seems like the stern sinks. The boat does not have tje automatic Trim feature. Could this be a prop issue? Or can I adjust the trim manually?

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard

second, all boat have bow rise on the hole shot until you get up and out of the hole and up on plane.

However your stinger 800 should have both the electric tilt of the outdrive (always needs to be down under power) and the hydraulic trim of the front motor mounts.

the tilt will be a switch on your dash. the trim will be the thumb toggle of the throttle.

you need to have the trim down until you get up on plane, then adjust the trim up until the boat starts to porpoise. then trim down just a notch.

if the trim isnt working, time to do some troubleshooting

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If wanting a fast plane, distribute load evenly on deck and prop right that motor to run towards its max wot rpm range as loaded....

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
You need to fix trim as it raises/lowers engine mount to change outdrive angle. If the engine front is down that raise outdrive and can cause your condition...

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with above. Just try to get to know your boat and see how she reacts. If you don’t already know, it’s a natural thing for this to happen and is easily made worse or better by simple things like load or weight on board, it’s distribution and state and health of engine and its power, in proportion to the boat.