bow mounting a trolling motor

gazelle

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey folks<br /><br />I took my boat out for the first time yesterday. The previous owner had the trolling motor mounted near the bow on the port side. I never saw the boat in the water so I am not sure if this setup worked for him.<br /><br />The boat is 14 ft aluminum semi-V and the trolling motor is an old Minn Kota 24 volt 4hp. It has what I would think is a standard mount of just two clamp like screws. Like the one in the picture here http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg..._id=721216110&current_category=trolling motor <br /><br />I tightened the clamps down with a small piece of wood on between the back of the bracket and the boat. When I gave it full power the base of the motor would rise towards the surface and cause the motor to fall off because that was the path of least resistance.<br /><br />Is it possible to mount a trolling motor this way with the mount I have? Am I just not cranking down enough? Any tips? <br /><br />I really do not want to have to buy a bow mount and create a platform for the bow mount to attach too. <br /><br />Thanks

D

DJ

Re: bow mounting a trolling motor

gazelle,<br /><br />The sides of your boat really weren't designed to take that kind of stress. That motor is for mounting on the transom.<br /><br />There are bow mount brackets available to convert it. Last one I saw was in Cabelas.

gazelle

Petty Officer 3rd Class

How large of a space does the bow mount require? I am just wondering how much room I have to give up by building a platform level with the bow.<br /><br />Are there any other alternatives?

D

DJ

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander

RetiredMan, We are very strict here on anyone directly advertising their wares for sale. The reasoning behind this is that this board is supported by the businesses that pay to advertise here.<br /><br />Most members e-mail addresses are available if you would like to contact someone directly off of the board.

Jwill

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Screw the block of wood to the side of the boat and then it won't move.<br />Clamp the trolling motor to that and you should be fine.