bow mount trolling motor on deckboat

sunchaser85

Cadet
I have reviewed the 312 threads on "mounting a trolling motor" and although I did find one for a deck boat, it didn't seem to fit my situation.

I've learned to seek advice in the "design" stage, rather than seeking help when we need an engineering "fix"... so here goes:

I have a 1985 Sunchaser deckboat that I would like to put a bow mounted trolling motor on. should I:

1. Mount it with a wedge (custom made) tray mount that keeps the motor below the top rib (thus mounting in the same band as the boat numbers) on the front

or

2. Constuct a mounting that is equal to the height of the top (clearing between the rails on the front) and just have it stick inside the sitting area in the center??

I'm leaning toward option 1, as it would give me the cleanest mount, and it appears the "access" underneath is good in case I have to beef it up. I will incorporate a quick release mount, so it will look clean when I take the family out on Sunday afternoons.

My thought was if I keep it low, store it close to the hull, what protections should I consider for the head in the horizonal position? Glass in a second shelf to carry the "head" tie down position?

My draft is low in the water so I should be able to use a 48" shaft (depending on design choice), thus keeping the horizonal storage inside 1/2 the width of the boat. I'll be using wireless, so that gives me maximum flexibilty regarding front deck concerns.

Anyone ever had a similar mounting problem? Mounting on an angle like that?

Hope the pictures are worth a 1000 words!

Attachments

• cropped boat2.JPG
    cropped boat2.JPG
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
  • cropped boat.JPG
    cropped boat.JPG
    11.7 KB · Views: 0

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: bow mount trolling motor on deckboat

please resize the pics so they are big enough to see. looks like you are going to have to build a mount.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What Daddy said.

sunchaser85

Cadet

Sorry the delay, had to work double shifts over the weekend and I'm just getting back to "normal"

Here are the updated pictures!

Would appreciate some thoughts on the the motor riding on that constructed shelf whether it be in glass or just a custom bent mounting platform. It will be out of my line of sight from the helm, thus I'm a little nervous about not seeing it disappear, and we do ski with the boat, so top speeds are common for sustained periods on our 17 mile "all sports" long lake. Lots of "bouncing" is expected as we cross wakes.

If engineering correctly, it should have little impact on my skiing activities, and turn the deck boat into an awesome fishing platform for my son & I.

Your thoughts???

Attachments

• boat1.JPG
    boat1.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 0
  • boat2.JPG
    boat2.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 0

cwhite6

Petty Officer 1st Class

If I were to mount one on there, I would definetly use a quick detach mount like the one from Minn Kota. That way you could completely disconnect the trolling motor while skiing and riding around. That would eliminate any worry about it falling off or coming undone while moving.