Bow eye hook/anchor hook gaps

brandboat23

Cadet
What is standard industry expectation on bow eye/anchor hook?

Recently took delivery of a brand new custom order Cobalt 2023 R4 Surf. Is it normal to see gaps in the anchor hook/bow eye hook with white caulking? I took it back to dealer and asked to do a warranty claim to make it flush, and dealer sent it back today stating "re-caulk & fixed".

I did some research with other R4 models and found several that had anchor hooks/bow eye flush with little to none white caulking. Is this how mine should be?

The manufacture provided a response to the warranty claim and stated "each boat that is manufactured will have differences to certain components regarding fit and finish and they use several different molds (believes 8 different molds) and that a bow eye fits one particular boat may fit the other a bit different. Basically told me to take a hike.

What recourse do I have? I did some research how my boat was shipping during transportation and appears the truck during shipping may have used the bow eye. Is it common if truck goes over bump for this to pull out and create gaps?

Any feedback/help would be great where i should go from there?

Attachments

• IMG_9951.jpg
    IMG_9951.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9952.jpg
    IMG_9952.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9953.jpg
    IMG_9953.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 1_51_64_8585164_20221104162741695_1_XLARGE.jpg
    1_51_64_8585164_20221104162741695_1_XLARGE.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 12
  • shipping.JPG
    shipping.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
That does look crappy, seems "most" boat manufactures have quality control issues

I bought a 2023 280 Chaparral and have several quality control issues, not like yours but nothing I can do about it.

Might suggest contacting you states consumer protection agency and attorney general to see if they can help

Maybe ask, show me other R4's that have same issue

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
There is no standard in either the recreational boat market, or the superyacht market

Truth is if you were to 3D scan the hull of 15 boats, all 15 would be different even all pulled out of the same mold

They pull the hulls, depending on temp the hull will flare more or less. They glue in the stringer tubs flaring the hull more or less, then they deck the boat with the cap and pry the two bits together.

The bow flare may vary +/- 1/4"

The tow bitt and pull blocks are each made by hand, black-smithed with hammers and hydraulic presses against a bow splash. This will get you within 1mm (0.040").... then sanded and polished which may change the shape another 0.8mm (0.030")

The tow eyes are then bolted to the hull during rigging to holes drilled by hand and glued in place with 5200.

Each boat will have different fit and finish.

Not until you get to hand-crafted Italian boats where artisans spend hundreds of hours making them look spectacular do you get minimal gaps and caulk lines (however one side of the boat is different than the other).

But that fit and finish costs another 10x what your cobalt cost.