bought this prop on ebay today, it doesn't have the hub insert? how do u put that in?

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: bought this prop on ebay today, it doesn't have the hub insert? how do u put that

Yep, that's a square bore prop. Choose the Flo Torq hub kit for your drive and away you go.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: bought this prop on ebay today, it doesn't have the hub insert? how do u put that

let me ask this I currently have a 14" 19 pitch prop on my 19ft I/O ski boat that has a MR/alpha 1 outdrive and 260hp 350 chevy.

the boat per my gps with that setup does 50mph at 5,000 rpm! max rpm for the engine is 4800.

so thats why I bought this 21 pitch prop...thing is the seller said on the ebay write up it's 14" diameter I looked up the part number stamped on the prop in the pics and online it says that model number is a 13 3/4" diameter 21p.

what will it being a 13 3/4" diameter instead of a 14" diameter cause? more speed, less speed, more rpm's, less rpm's? hope I didn't mess up buyign it but his write up said 14".

o well

also how in the heck do you put a hub insert in? when you buy a prop new it comes with that already correct? aren't they pressed in or something?

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

Should have no effect on the performance of that prop. The pitch is of most concern. Your RPM's will drop at WOT and top end will more than likely increase.

the prop you bought is made to go on different out drives. It has a square interior of the hub. You have to buy a kit that is for your outdrive. Put that hub kit on and the Prop will fit over Like a male female joint and tighten with your current prop nut.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

Was unaware about there being square and round bore props. Is this what I should have bought for my mr/alpha 1? I know it will work but would a round one have been better?

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Think about this! It is a square bore prop. You cannot use a round plug in a square hole and vice versa. Buy the hub kit for your out drive. The drive sleeve is a plastic insert that has splines on the inside and is square on the outside. It simply slides into the back of the prop. This allows that prop to be used on a variety of different engines with just a simple hub kit change. You are thinking about a prop that has the rubber isolator that is pressed between the blade area of the prop and the hub. Those must be installed by a prop shop. 1/4 inch difference in prop diameter means nothing. Within the same family, prop diameter decreases slightly as pitch increases. Likewise it increases slightly as pitch decreases. It is all factored into the prop design.

paulspaddle

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I know absolutely nothing about this, but I was intrigued.

If I am correct, here is a link that might explain it a bit.

There is a square insert into the back, but still have the circular splines in the middle. (I believe this was your concern)

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&sa=N&um=1

Scroll to bottom of page.

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks guys, I may be wrong but after looking into it a bit myself I don't even think you can get a new mercury vengenace prop in anything else than the square bore...must be the new deal in most props to allow for easier hub change and use on different outdrives.

I bought this on ebay, hope it is what I needed for my outdrive should be!

only thing that makes me kinda wonder is it right for mine it says alpha 1 but mine is an 1985 MR which is alpha 1 came out in 86..mine looks and is 99% the same from what I know..has the square top and A on the shaft.

but isn't an alpha it's an MR.

we'll see!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

mr's and alpha's use the same prop... you can still buy what you call a "round bore" prop.... it has a rubber hub bonded and pressed in with the insert for the prop shaft.... it only fits a certain drive.... the new "square bore" props have user interchangeable hub inserts....
If the old style spins out you have to take it to a prop shop..... on the new square style you put in your spare (buy one and carry it with you) hub fuse (the plastic square part) in a few minutes and keep boating

Bondo

Staff member

only thing that makes me kinda wonder is it right for mine it says alpha 1 but mine is an 1985 MR which is alpha 1 came out in 86..mine looks and is 99% the same from what I know..has the square top and A on the shaft.

but isn't an alpha it's an MR.

Ayuh,... Props for Merc. outdrives are ALL the Same, from the begining to Now...
Large gear case Outboards, Pre-Alphas, Alphas, Alpha Gen.IIs,+ Bravo 1s, ALL use the Same props....

weider1717

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok so the merucry hub kit flo torq II part number 835257K 1 I ordered should work with my MR outdrive correct?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssss

TFHTECH

Seaman Apprentice

not to confuse you more but you can take it to a prop shop and have them cup the prop will take 100 to 200 rpms of the top and add mph