Bought my daughter a 4-wheeler

NathanY

Commander
Here are some pics:<br />
072232.jpg
<br />
072234.jpg
<br /><br />Its an old Yamaha 80cc. Its slow, but it works good for a six-year-old. She was so excited when she saw it. Not bad for $250.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Bought my daughter a 4-wheeler

Looks like great fun Nate.<br />I wish I had one myself.<br /><br />Do her a favor, get her a full face helmet.<br />Those handle bars can do a number on a face or teeth.<br />Even at 10 mph, it is like dropping her on the sidewalk, face first.<br /><br />Don't ask.

LubeDude

Admiral

Our grand daughter has been riding sense she was 4, she is seven now and just got a new one!<br /><br />
PDRM0011TAYLOR.jpg
<br />This was taken last year before she got the new one.

NathanY

Commander

Yeah, Roscoe, I agree about the helmet. But I didnt want to invest so much $$$ in one if she was not going to ride the thing. She had the bicycle helmet, and thought that would be good enough for her to try the four wheeler out.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

I could only wish I had one of those as a kid. Very cool. Heck I want one as an adult. :D

ndemge

Commander

I agree on the face helmet, and a set of BOOTS<br /><br />if your about to crash, instinct tells you to put your feet down.... as the rear tire runs over it.<br /><br />Happened to me, had my tennis shoes on and was on crutches for 4 months.... had I spent the 2 minutes to lace up my boots, might have gotten by with a "sob that smarted" instead, spent 3 days at pismo beach limpin around (never said it ended the trip :)

ndemge

Commander

oh, and not to just rant about safety... very cool :) my nephew had a little one like that he road until he was 14, he looked funny as can be at that age, but he was still having fun.

JRJ

Commander

Good family fun since '87 for us. I was wearing a walking cast the first time I rode one and yep, I put my bad leg down. Managed to hide it for awhile :D :eek: Dr. said "keep it up I've got two kids in collage" :p

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Cool man, we gonna look at some 4 wheelers soon, the 3 yr old is begging to get one. :D <br /><br />I know everybody will probably rag on me for this, but you can get a BMX style full face bicyle helmet for cheap and it offers good protection. It has a hard plastic shell just like a motorcycle helmet. <br /><br />Ken

KaGee

Admiral

Gee, I never had any cool toys like that when I was a kid.<br /><br />Heck, I don't have any now! :(

mrloring

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Local ATV shop has helmets for $50. My buddy paid over $120 for his boy's helmet at a different shop. I guess with helmets you pay for the name as much as anything else.

Link

Rear Admiral

Wish they would have had them when I was a kid!<br />Some of my grandkids have them and man do they think they are flying at 10 mph! Great pics

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by KenImpZoom:<br />I know everybody will probably rag on me for this, but you can get a BMX style full face bicyle helmet for cheap and it offers good protection. It has a hard plastic shell just like a motorcycle helmet. <br />
I'll take first honors.<br /><br />A BMX helmet is probably good for a little kid on a small 50cc, not likely to see high speeds. However, I wouldn't even recommend a BMX helmet for somebody as old as 8 or 9 on an 80cc quad. They can easily reach speeds and possible impacts beyond what a BMX helmet is designed to handle. Lighter and less expensive equates to not as strong.<br /><br />I'm heavily into ATVs. The "250r" in my name refers to a legendary quad built by Honda back in 86-89, the full model number is TRX250R. I've built-up and raced many, I've even used nitrous oxide.<br /><br />We have a saying in the motorcycle and ATV community. If'n you got a $10 head, then buy a $10 helmet.