Bought a new computer

ae708

Chief Petty Officer
My old 'puter was 6 years old. I'd replaced the harddrive, added memory but it started giving me trouble. So Saturday I went to Best Buy and got an emachines with an AMD Athlon 64 3400 processor. Man this thing is fast.....makes my old P3 look like it's crawling. I bought the bundle with flat panel monitor (upgraded to 17"), printer which I didn't need and some other goodies like a USB floppy, etc. The total cost was $1100 with all the other junk I got. I'm getting $300 back in rebates. I remember my 1st PC. Had a 14" monitor, 120 meg harddrive, a whopping 40 mhz 386 processor and cost me $2700!! Man, times have changed for the better where computers are concerned.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Bought a new computer

Congrats there Art. I did the same thing a couple of months ago and have been waiting for the rebate. Guess it's time to call them...Chief ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Anti virus - anti spyware you have to protect the new baby!!<br /><br />Good luck with it.<br /><br />Bob

Drowned Rat

Captain

I'm thinking of getting that exact same package ae. I'm glad to hear you're happy with it. They told me at Best Buy that the e-machines are the same thing as Gateway, don't know if it's true or not.

ZmOz

Captain

The only time I've bought a computer was a long time ago...when $999 for 120mhz, 1.2gb, and a 14" monitor as round as a basketball was an amazing deal. :D Since then I've always made my own, though I never really make a new one. I just upgrade this one all the time. The one I'm typing on now has had at least 4 different motherboards in it... :rolleyes:

RichP1269

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My last computer was a Sony 3.2 ghz P-4, 180meg hd, 256 meg video card machine running Windows XP Media Center that I bought from UBid.com. It is a factory recertified machine and carries a 6 month factory warranty. New cost was $1800. I paid $750 for the recertified machine.<br /><br />This was not a traditional auction. UBid was the reseller.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I've always made my own,
The only way to really know what you have. I need to buy a bare bones system for the shop here at work. (Case, Motherboard, power supply and CPU. Ill just throw what I have laying around for the rest. Figure I can build a 2 gig machine for about $200.00 or less. Good enough for the shop.

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

LD.. you'll have a hard time even buying a decent CPU for 200 bucks. Anyway... this is working just fine and I didn't have to waste any time tracking down and buying components. I updated my old one several times. The way things are now it's easy enough to buy one ready made. And yes, the emachines are built by Gateway.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

My first personal 'puter was a Zorba.<br /><br />Z80 1Mhz processor (8 bit) running CP/M<br />Dual 5 1/4" floppies<br />640K of RAM<br /><br />$2195 in 1982.<br /><br />Not everything costs more than it used to. :)

saxis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I build my own too, only way to go. I haven't upgraded my home PC in a couple years, but the last one I built is still decent enough... Athlong XP 2000+, dual 40gb hdd in RAID 0, 512mb pc2700 and a 64mb geforce3. It works, it's stable and my AMD runs at a suprising 83-95 ferenheit with my water cooling system turned down to low, depending on outside temp and how hard I push it.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

if you dont have a scsi hard drive your not livin large

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

Some day I'll replace this old Commadore!!!!!!!

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Cant beat the $299 special from Dell......Got it home put $80 memory stick in it,Runs great....Including 17"monitor.

Homerr

Commander

Store-bought computers definitely got cheaper, but I'd never buy another one. I build all my own now.<br /><br />You probably spend a little more, but you get better quality parts.<br /><br />H.

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by ZmOz:<br /> I've always made my own...
Ya me too. Way cheaper if you already own the software. <br /><br />Congrats AE!

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

ae,<br /><br />Bought my first eMachine in 98. On my 4th one now. Wouldn't buy anything else. For the price you can upgrade regularly.

tommays

Admiral

i can remenber when a 4 meg ram cost more than that<br /><br /><br />its tough to beat emachines i have built some boxs and its pretty close<br /><br /> and they stand behind it well and someone you can understand answers the phone and was very good at takeing care of the minor problem i had right down to sending me a new shipping box for free if i had wanted to<br /><br /><br />tommays

ae708

Chief Petty Officer

Ram used to be so expensive.... 50 bucks a meg. I remember paying, back in the early '90s, around $800 for a 16 meg chip. People were breaking into offices and stealing simms out of computers...leaving the machine there. This is my first emachine, seems pretty good so far. I've built a couple of computers... I used to build and work on cars too...now I just do it the easy way. :)

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by ae708:<br /> LD.. you'll have a hard time even buying a decent CPU for 200 bucks.
Not true, I have a local computer store right up the street from the shop that can beat this one from Ebay. And, like I said, I have everthing else I need just lying around.<br /><br /> Computer<br /><br />My intention here is not to say you paid too much, only that I can put together one for the shop for about $200.00. It wont hold a candle to yours though.