Bought a boat yesterday

Jacks1523

Recruit
Wondering if anyone can tell me this black thing that sticks out of the hull up front.
1989 Rinker V180

no live wells or coolers

Attachments

• IMG_0020.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 61

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It sure looks like a drain for a ice storage compartment under a bow seat. My Chaparral has that similar fitting also.
Lift up each bow seat for a drain at the bottom.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Looks a little High up on the Hull to be an Underseat Compartment Drain. I lean to a Fuel Tank Vent

Jacks1523

Recruit
Why would the vent be all the up to the front of the boat instead of more by the gas fill spot on the very back?

Thanks for the responses I appreciate it.
Joe

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Further away from the Water Line, maybe. The Hose connected to it would still have to arc up higher so as to reduce any Bow Splash getting into the Tank

airshot

Rear Admiral
New boats are designed and assembled as quick and cheaply as possible, lots of items on a boat are not installed like they should be. Be prepared to see more dumb stuff as you get deeper into your boat.

cyclops222

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Lets run as long of a gasoline vapor filled line below decks. As is possible. Sounds really safe.

Njsloans1

Recruit
Definitely a vent line of some sort. I can't see why they would have a gas tank vent line that far away. All the ones on my boat have almost always been right along side the tank or near the filler.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Fuel vent.
Far away from spark, cigarettes or otherwise.
If higher than fill port, I bet an epa regulate because I've had boats that spit out the vent prior to filling the beck.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Lets run as long of a gasoline vapor filled line below decks. As is possible. Sounds really safe.
The fuel tank vent is not for fumes at the bilge, it is to allow air into fuel tank. Basic plumbing, just like a house plumbing. You ever hold a finger to the top or a straw?