Bottom paint

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice
I am not sure what kind of bottom paint is on my 18.5 ft bayliner. The previous owner put it on and he got it from West Marine. I do know it is not Antifouling paint.<br /><br />I want to put Antifouling paint on. I leave it on a shore mooring in the harbor and its starting to get some growth.<br /><br />Do I have to take off the current bottom paint that is in good shape or can I put Antifouling paint over it?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman
Re: Bottom paint

Spin,<br />If the current paint is well bonded to the hull you can probably overcoat it with a another layer of "better" paint. I went nine (9) seasons before I had to remove all paint layers from my 30' and start over. (w/3,000 psi pressure washer) I would suggest two layers of ablative paint of different colors so you know when to repaint. This year I used an Interlux product called "Micron" ??<br /><br />Have fun,<br /><br />erie_guy

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks,<br />Good Idea on the different colors of paint.<br />Is ablative and micron both antiflouling paints?<br /><br />Do you really have to wait 60 days before you could put her back in the water?<br /><br />How many days before you can apply the second coat?

Norm Malcosky

Seaman

Spin,<br />The Interlux ablative paint is called Micron CSC Extra (controlled solubility copolymer). It costs $175. per gallon - so don't waste any. I think it also comes in qt sizes. One gallon gave me one coat coverage on my 30' boat. <br /><br />I think the minimum time between coats was several hours, but was temperature dependant. Suggest you contact a supplier like West Marine and get the real facts. If you leave the boat in the water, you may also want to first apply a "barrier coat" (an epoxy type paint) to minimize the possiblilty of blistering. <br /><br />I don't remember a 60 day drying period in the instructions but I did take a week or so before it was launched.<br /><br />Strange time of year to be worrying about painting. Just brush the slime and barnacles off and keep using your boat - summer is almost over !!<br /><br />erie_guy

L Christopher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Spin:<br />Depending on where you are boating, you can get growth starting on antifouling paint in as little as a month. You should either pull the boat out of the water and clean it every now and them or go overboard with a brush and clean it. Also keep an eye on your zincs if you are in salt water.

spinakersheet

Seaman Apprentice

I wont start working on it until the middle of October. <br /><br />I am going to get a diver who cleans it once a month. for a $1.25 a foot. He also changes the zincs. <br /><br />Thank you for your responses.<br /><br />Has any one tried to paint there bottom while it was on the trailer?

Neil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I painted my boat whilst on the trailer. Hand painted to with Epoxy. Took some time but I was satisfied with the results. I rubbed down between coats to remove the brush lines.<br /><br />I only have a small missed patch from the front of the trailer.<br /><br />NG