Bottom Paint removal

jgroh

Cadet
Any ideas on how to remove bottom paint from 17' CC? Do not wish to re-apply it!<br />Thanks

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Bottom Paint removal

Several things we need to know first: What is your hull made of. Do you know what paint is on the bottom, such as epoxy, or anti-fouling paint. I personnaly would try a heat gun if it is on wood boat, If it is fiberglass, I would try aircraft/marine epoxy paint remover, but be very careful because this can soften and damage the fiberglass and gel coat. Only apply enough to soften up the top coat of paint, then scrap the excess of with putty knife. Be sure to wash off any remaing remover, because this can keep the next coat of paint from adhering to your bottom. I would try small areas first to see what works best. The epoxy paint remover is very flammable and will burn the heck out of your skin, so take precautions. One small speck the size of the end of a pen is enough to let you know you got it on you. Good luck....<br /><br /><br />Never buy a boat on blocks from a redneck.

MercilessMike

Petty Officer 2nd Class

west msrine, boat us make products specifically for this. Oven cleaner works but will damage fiberglass if left on to long, as in more than a couple minutes, but it works. <br />THe products from West Marine is a paste you apply, cover with plastic, (provided in kit) let set for 12 hours, come back and peel plastic!

jgroh

Cadet

Yes, Boat is fiberglass. Tried the epoxy .... agree with burning skin if contact is made. Just bought boat, not sure of type of paint...assume $$ stuff.<br /><br />Thanks<br />JG

markg

Cadet

Joe,<br />You could try sandblasting or powerwashing. I don't believe you'll ever get the bottom down to gelcoat where you could just wax it. Here's a compromise. Do a light sanding then go to an ablative paint. It wears away like a bar of soap and you don't have to do any real sanding next season. Interlux Micron CSC ? is a good one but pricey. Sanding a bottom is the one thing I dread most about owning a boat used in salt water. Good luck Captain.