Bottom Paint for 18' Angler

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice
Hey Guys, I wanted some opinions on painting the bottom of my 18'center console Angler. I Just bought the boat and there was antifouling paint on previously.I sanded it all off and found alot of gashes, chips and scratches in the gelcoat. I repaired the gelcoat but could not get the color to match real good, so I need to paint her.When I water tested the boat, it seemed to have some drag, porposing, and hard to plane. I have a 115 Johnson, no hydrofoil. I want to use a bottom paint that does not cause drag.This boat is on a Trailer. Any suggestions? Thanks. :confused: <br /><br /> Joe

snapperbait

Vice Admiral
Re: Bottom Paint for 18' Angler

I've found a paint that might be just the ticket for you... Interlux VC Performance Epoxy... It's not antifouling and only comes in white... I plan on using it myself along with an epoxy barrier coat here in the next few weeks... <br /><br />Here's what the interlux web page says about it...<br /><br />Product Description <br /> <br /> <br />VC Performance Epoxy is a two-part Teflon® bearing epoxy that has a hard, slick finish ideal for use on the underwater surfaces of high performance powerboats and racing sailboats. Teflon® adds lubricity and eases wet sanding and burnishing.<br /><br />VC Performance Epoxy's hard, stain-resistant finish is also ideal for rack-stored and trailered boats or boats that are kept in the water not requiring antifouling protection. VC Performance Epoxy has no antifouling or foul release properties. <br /> <br /> <br />Application Details - VC Performance Epoxy <br /> Area Below water <br /> Finish/Sheen Semi-gloss <br /> Converter/Curing V128 <br /> Number of Coats: 3-4 as needed <br /> Method of application: Brush / Roller / Airless Spray / Conventional Spray <br /> <br /> http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa/

Flash Wax Man

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Snapperbait,<br /><br />Thanks for the reply. I saw that paint advertised.<br />I will give it a shot and let you know how it works.It took alot of work to remove the antifouling paint from the bottom. Although I need a grey color because the boat is white on top and grey on the bottom.Maybe I can tint it.<br /><br /> Joe

orion208

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Antifouling not antifouling/confused.I have a 19 ft. cuddy does not stay in the water do I need antifouling (what is the pupose)or not.Thanks