bottom line whats the best 2 cycle oil ?????????????????

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
Re: bottom line whats the best 2 cycle oil ?????????????????

any of them will do!!!!!!!! For most recreational boaters!!!!!!!!!!!! Get the cheapest if you have an old dog motor!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I avoid synthetic but I have no scientific reason; I don't like synthetic clothes, food or body parts.

I stick with Yamaha oil for my newer Yam motor; I buy it by the gallon refill. I also buy cheap tcw3 oil by the gallon refill from a low-end boat shop for my older motors.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What does "best" mean? Best lubricant? Best additive package? Best value? Best price?

Everyone has an opinion but nobody knows.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Someone once said....any oil is better than no oil. Or was that grease?

No bottom line answer. Just preferences. I like cheapest TCW-III rated oil. Currently that is Wallyworld Super Tech (made by Shell) $12.15/gal. I used some biodegradeable fully synthetic oil last year for $40/gal. I saw no difference in motor performance, lessening of smoke or lessening of smell.

bouch1

Seaman Apprentice

I used to have an old tractor and this question came up a lot there too, the consenses was today's technology makes even the cheapest better than what was out when your engine was new, so not much need to buy top shelf unless you have money to burn, I use Wally's TCWIII with no problems.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

As noted above, it depends on your needs. Can't see spending the extra money on oil for a 9.9 HP.

I spend a lot of hours trolling a high HP motor and only burn semi-synthetic, full synthetic when it’s on sale. Both produce noticeably less smoke and burn much cleaner than dino oil. Fouled plugs from idling hours on end are a thing of the past.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I've got an 82 mercury 175hp v6. I run the regular el cheapo dino oil in it. I figure when this engine came out back in its day there were no fancy synthetic oils on the market like now. It was made to burn regular dino oil so that's what I feed it. I may be overcautious because I have a snowmobile of the same era that started running stupid when I tried running it on synthetic and cleaned up when I went back to the regular dino oil.

fisherguy123

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the wally world stuff in the last 3 outboards I owned and no problems at all.....in fact I used the outboard oil in my last 2 watercoold snowmobiles as well at temps well below freezing temps !

QC

Supreme Mariner

Man. We are really getting good at this. Love and peace to everyone.

nwcove

Admiral

hate to beat this dead horse but......it all depends on how you use your motor, i am a putt putt guy, with a bit of wot, but if you're a bass boat/tunnel hull guy that runs hard at wot for extended periods of time, go with higher end lube....im ok for my use with any ob rated oil, but do notice a difference when using the more expensive oils.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

Not enough info, mainly for what engine?

running full synth in a '69 9.5 is just silly but in a new Etec it makes sense.

for most of us the Wally World stuff is fine, I have run it for years without a single problem, I check my compression several times a year and haven't lost a pound in the 4 years I have been using it.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

What difference does it make? You will either die, park the boat and ignore it, or sell it to an enthusiastic newcomer before you even to begin wearing it out.....give yourself a break. I was here before Pearl Harbor was attacked and I assure you, all the stuff that you (I) felt you (I) had to have when you (I) were (was) young, just doesn't matter all that much. Spend your time dwelling on things that matter to you, your family, and your family's existence. BTDT.

Mark

PWH1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 90 Johnson SPL and it simply runs like crap on the Wally World Super Tech oil - fowled plugs/hard starting. I returned to using Quicksilver Premium and the outboard runs very well. Tried the Super Tech twice and the results were the same each time.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The best is.....

Contriptor Orange. Available at your local Disfort dealer.

I've been using a full synthetic for about 10 years now.
I see benefits such as less smoke and no fouled plugs even after 5 hours of trolling, the same motor was bad on plug fouling with dino oil.

jbjennings

Captain

I have a 90 Johnson SPL and it simply runs like crap on the Wally World Super Tech oil - fowled plugs/hard starting. I returned to using Quicksilver Premium and the outboard runs very well. Tried the Super Tech twice and the results were the same each time.

Interesting...... I have no problem with the supertech but in my yamaha 90hp, I don't run it just because it's my most expensive motor and has the lowest hours/runs perfect. I wouldn't freak if I was forced to use supertech.
I did have a chevy truck that you could hear the main bearings on with quaker state, and it DID NOT make the noise with Pennzoil (I always considered them both good oil), so I know the kind of thing you report is possible. Just like my old truck, though, it would be hard to believe without seeing it with my own eyes.

robert graham

Admiral

Endlessly debatable subject,....but I tend to buy machinery/equipment and run it forever(decades), so I run the Pennzoil 100% Synthetic Outboard Motor Oil in my 1999 Yamaha 90C. It costs more, smokes less and may create less carbon. I also use Yamaha Ringfree and Stabil all the time. Motor runs like a new one, all the time, so guess my peace of mind/psychological effect of the high price oil is worth it to me....my $.02 worth on this subject!;)

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

I don't like synthetic clothes, food or body parts.

This is hilarious "Cookin". You absolutely broke me up when I read this.....I can hardly type for still laughing.

Mark