bottom fin on lower unit, half broken off,is it ok to run

heyitstim

Cadet
bad experience on shallow lake, hit some rocks and broke fin off on bottom of the lower unit, prop is fine and lower unit is ok, but what can you do about the broken fin, price a used lower unit online, it was a thousand dollars,, will it hurt to tun, what impact will it make, or can it be fixed?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: bottom fin on lower unit, half broken off,is it ok to run

You can run it like that. They sell a device that fits over whats left and is held in place with a screw. I think they have em at http://www.cabelas.com

Trent

Captain

The skeg is just to protect the propeller. It will not hurt to run it like was said above. If you dont like it you can also have a new one welded on by a prop shop.

Mumblerone

Petty Officer 1st Class

A good welding shop that is experienced in prop repair can easily weld a new skeg on...it'll look like new. It will not cost a fortune either, I guess about $50.00. No problem running without one...the next time you hit will be the prop. ;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Depending on how handy you are....I priced the "skeg guard" and it was about $99 so instead I went to a metal fabrication place and had a piece of stainless steel bent. <br /><br />I had made a cardboard template and the metal shop bent the metal to my specs. I installed it using stainless steel bolts.<br /><br />My cost was less than $25 including bolts.<br /><br />One thing for certain....it is cheaper than replacing a prop if left alone.<br /><br />Bob

slow_boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Bob VT...<br /><br />I fish rivers w/lots of rocks & am interested in your DIYS skeg gard project. Could you tell us how you made the template? Thanks