Bottled vs.Tap

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander
Which water do you think is better for you? Bottled water or tap water?

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral
Re: Bottled vs.Tap

same difference without pretty package IMO...<br />sorry Bassy, wasn't a choice in poll :p

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

need another choice...I've tested my well water and I am sure that the bottler of water has tested his, but I don't know... :cool:

Elmer Fudge

Lieutenant Commander

I filter my tap water then i cannot tell the difference.<br />Store bought bottled water seems to be priced higher than gasoline :(

FSHKPR

Ensign

taste wise i think its pretty much the same. i only get bottled water when driving or going out on the boat for the convience. usually i will just refill the bottle from the tap.

LadyFish

Admiral

We're fortunate to have good tap water. I drink tap water (about a gallon a day) and bottled water for convenience only.<br /><br />I know many new parents give their children only bottled water. It makes me wonder about the negative affects of not getting enough floride for good stong teeth.

Stratosfied

Ensign

Our fridge has a filter which we use. Only use tap to cook with etc.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a good 100+ foot well and have no need for either. Sorry. Could not vote.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Wow, tap 55% and bottle 45%. I'm surprised by the results so far.<br />Bassy

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on how bad your tap water is. I used to run and maintain several medical grade water plants, and was the regional water treatment trainer for a major dialysis provider. We did a lot of analysis which would have been overkill for drinking water. Lots of details, but the biggest advantages to bottled water in most cases are taste and peace of mind. The municipal providers are way too closely regulated to allow much bad stuff through (though their chlorine is nasty enough!), and private wells can be tested to see whether there is adequate justification for further treatment or the purchase of bottled water. Cities and public water system providers, by the way, are required by law to provide a copy of their annual analysis reports. Many of the current standards are overkill, though I'm glad they are there.<br />I really bristle at the notion of paying so much for drinking water when the benefit is normally so little. When we buy bottled water we are paying a lot for labor and marketing, mostly. That is OK, I guess, but the expense really adds up. If chlorine and volatile organics are the the only concern a relatively inexpensive chlorine filter does the job incredibly well. If minerals are also an issue then following with a small reverse osmosis unit is not a terribly difficult thing. For most all safety and taste issues the carbon filter alone will provide a tremendous improvement at very little cost. There are larger under sink ones and even some decent ones which screw right onto the tap. This is much, much less expensive than bottled water in the long run.<br />I have to hand it to the bottlers- they struck a goldmine. Good marketing at the right time, much of which is playing off people's fears and concerns. I suggest everyone make the most informed decision possible before laying out hundreds of dollars per year for the most common and easily found commodity on the planet. It may be worth it, it might not be. The question isn't how much better the bottled water is, the question should be how bad is the water you have already, IMO.

Link

Rear Admiral

Water here will rot your gut out so we filter ours<br />Needed another choice :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Here on Cape Ann we have a state of the art water filtration plant!!! Most of the sodium is taken out and they add flouride to the tap water And I prefer tap water!!! Bottled water companpies do not have to disclose how much sodium is in the water!!! <br /><br />There is controversy about alot of the bottled water being spring water which in most cases is not!!! Poland Spring Water Co. is being sued for making such a claim when actually the water comes from run off in a fresh water pound and then is filtered!!!<br /><br />I buy bottled water by the case!!! A case of 28 -24oz. cost about $4.50 I use bottled water only when I work or in my vehicle and usually I refill the bottle a couple of times with tap water!!! ;) :cool:

crab bait

Captain

home filters are pretty much a joke.. <br /><br />the soft plastic 'milk jugs' that the bottled water comes in ,, is way bad in a major way.. it could be years from bottler to your inards.. powerful plastic leachin' here..<br /><br />i'm fortunate.. i have a water distillery close by.. where they distill tap water.. after goin' thru two industrial filters,, the last one is still MEGA-GROSS.. an needs to be clean daliy..<br /><br />$3 bucs for 5 gallons in lexan bottles <br /><br />$5 bucs for home delivery..

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

Bassy...you been in California for a lo-ong time I'll bet... :D

self taut

Petty Officer 3rd Class

got to go with tha tap.Why?I'm not spending $1.35 on 12 oz of water.here the tap is rather decent.why spend extra money on water when i can spend it on da boat?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Oh, water.<br /><br />You people actually drink water??<br /><br />Do you know what fish do in water??

cajun555

Chief Petty Officer

People do it in the water also. Haven't seen to many boats with outhouses.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

Yep, Chief, all my life. <br />Bassy :)

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Crab bait- There are a few places which have water issues which are too much for a tap mounted filter, but most can benefit a lot. SOME home filters may be a joke, but I've personally tested a few, and understand their technology well. Many work very, very well. Not necessarily the ones the door to door snake oil sellers sell at huge prices, either. You do have to do your homework and read the fine print. You must know what you are trying to remove from the water, use the correct technology for that sort of contaminant, and you must replace the cartridge elements at an appropriate interval. The interval depends on how much water is used and how much gunk is in it. Flow rate may need to be restricted a bit to acheive the necessary empty bed contact time, though that is normally built in. Personally I'm not impressed with the pitcher filters, but many of the faucet mount versions with a bypass (so you only use the filter for cold drinking water mostly) and undersink units produce water every bit as high quality for human consumption purposes as bottled water- without that plastic leach out taste that the cheaper bottles tend to give off. By the way, good bottled water still has way too many minerals for use in your boat's and vehicle's batteries. This is where deionized or distilled water are much better, though they taste kind of flat for drinking. <br /><br />I once had a State inspector (one of the big boys, as it were) corner me in one of my clinics. This was an occasional though somewhat stressful ocurrence in that highly regulated industry. What did he want, more analysis records? More documentation? NO! He wanted advice on how to make a water system for his own home brewing setup! That inspection was thorough yet fair all in all, though the inspector seemed particularly pleased with the outcome.... :D :p :D

crab bait

Captain

yeah, most of those home filters are pretty much junk.. it's like wearing a paper dust mask in an asbestos room..( i should be ok,, see i gotta dust mask on ) <br /><br /> false sense of security for sure.. ( i should be ok,, see i gotta tap filter )...<br /><br /><br />distilled water is flat, that's for sure..<br /><br />one tablespoon of white vinegar per 5 gallon,, gives the crisp back..