Borg Warner transmission fluid

I have a Borg Warner transmission in my 1993 malibu inboard ski boat and I have not changed (or added) transmission fliud in ten years. The Mercruiser manual that came with the boat says the transmission takes:<br /><br />10 wt. tractor hydraulic fluid meeting C3/To-2 specification (preferably Mobil 432, Chevron or Citco).<br /><br />I have been to several boat places trying to find this kind of oil and they don't know what I'm talking about. They say everyone puts Dexron 3 in inboard transmissions. <br />When I tell them the fliud in it is NOT RED and that the manual specifies this 10 Wt. hydraulic oil with no mention of Dexron, they are stumped.<br /><br />I noticed that the oil has bubbles on the dipstick and although it works great, I'm afraid failure is emminent.<br /><br />What should I do?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Borg Warner transmission fluid

It would really help to know the Mercruiser model of the engine and transmission.<br />Really hard to find updates to fluids only.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Hi Skinned Knucks..<br /><br />Can you get us a model number off the trans?...<br /><br />If the trans is a 71-C (AS-71C (R or B suffix), 10-17-000-000) or a 72-C, (AS-72C (R suffix) 10-18-000-000) as per B/W velvet drive service manual, approved fluids are:<br /><br />General Motors Dextron 2E or Dextron 3 (Dextron 3 recomended)<br />Ford Mercon<br />Detroit Diesel Allison C4<br />Caterpillar T0-4<br />Daimler-Benz 236.6...<br /><br />The major concern is that you NOT mix different brands or types of fluids.. That means draining the cooler and lines as well as the trans itself.. Call me overly cautious but after 10 years, it might be a good time to replace the cooler as well, before it starts to leak...<br /><br />As for the bubbles on the dipstick, if there's quite a few that may simply be the oil telling you that it's old & worn out and it's lost is anti-foaming ability... One, two, three bubbles at the top of the fluid level on the stick is normal IMO...<br /><br />If the trans does'nt leak, slip, make excessive noise, overheat, blow oil out of the breather, or "creep" (turning the prop while in neutral), I'd say change the oil and go...

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you want to stick with what is in there (not red), go to a Tractor Supply Store. Tell them you need 10 weight hydraulic fluid, they stock it.

Rainmaker

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Many of the older VDs came with hydraulic oil from the boat builder. The old VD spec allowed for the use of hydraulic oil, and many builders used it because it is cheaper than ATF.<br /><br />But hydraulic oil will lose lubricating properties at a much lower temp then ATF. So ATF will give you a little extra insurance.<br /><br />I would recommend a couple of changes with ATF to purge the hydraulic oil out the system.

Thanks for the replies.<br />It is a 10-17-004 Velvet Drive so I guess Dexron ATF would be OK. Will flush it twice to get the old oil out of the cooler. Since it only has 650 hours all freshwater use I don't think I'll replace the cooler, though.