Border Agents Back 'Minutemen'

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Border Agents Back 'Minutemen' <br />6:35 pm PST, 20 April 2005 <br /><br />By Jon E. Dougherty<br /><br />[7AM] -- Despite complaints from immigrant rights groups, as well as local and national officials about the actions of civilian volunteers patrolling a section of Arizona-Mexico border, a number of agents with the U.S. Border Patrol who have interacted with them say they are helping deter illegal crossings and smuggling.<br /><br />The volunteers, who are associated with an operation dubbed the "Minuteman Project," set up camp near Naco, Ariz. April 1, with the intent of patrolling sections of U.S. border for 30 days. Event organizers James Gilchrist and Chris Simcox said their volunteers, armed mostly with binoculars and radios, don't interdict illegals themselves. Instead, they call Border Patrol agents when they encounter undocumented migrants crossing into the U.S. from Mexico to report the migrants' location.<br /><br />Gilchrist and Cox say the sole objective of their effort is to deter illegal crossings. But critics say their group is comprised of individuals who are behaving more as vigilantes and have put migrants in danger because some volunteers are carrying firearms.<br /><br />The American Civil Liberties Union's Immigrants' Rights Project, which has sent monitors to Arizona to keep watch over the Minuteman volunteers, says there have been "growing reports" migrants are being abused and mistreated. The civil rights group also alleged, in a statement, that "private citizens near the Arizona border are engaging in illegal treatment of immigrants."<br /><br />"The Minuteman project has created a powder-keg situation with the potential to go beyond harassment and false imprisonment to real violence," Eleanor Eisenberg, Executive Director of the ACLU of Arizona, said. "We hope that our observer project will continue to shed light on the activities of the Minutemen and will ensure that private citizens do not detain, harass or humiliate others in violation of the law."<br /><br />But volunteers say no such abuses have occurred. And as for Border Patrol agents in the area, many say the volunteers are well-behaved, helpful assets.<br /><br />"You know it is only the brass and D.C. that feel the Minutemen are not wanted," one agent said, speaking on condition of anonymity. "I reached out with a lot of the line agents and they all love them."<br /><br />A second agent, also speaking on anonymity, who said he is one of the 534 agents the Border Patrol reassigned to the Arizona border in March, also says he and colleagues approve of the civilians and support their effort. <br /><br />"The on the line, most of us, are Americans who want to secure the sovereignty of the United States, our language and culture," the agent said. ". . . Border Patrol Agents may work for the U.S. government, but we are Americans first, fathers, mothers, brothers, sisters and friends, members of the community...then we are citizens of the United States, then we are Federal employees.<br /><br />This agent also said the biggest discrepancy between the patrol and the Minutemen is coming from management. <br /><br />"The only conflict between the Minutemen and the Border Patrol is with the Border Patrol management, which is really a clash with the status quo," said the agent. "The Republicans want slave labor and the Democrats want welfare recipients."<br /><br />Additionally, Border Patrol Union Local 2544, which represents the Tucson area, officially sanctioned the deployment of the group, saying in a statement published on its Web site its personnel "have not had one single complaint" about Minutemen volunteers.<br /><br />"Every report we've received indicates these people are very supportive of the rank-and-file agents, they're courteous, many of them are retired firefighters, cops, and other professionals, and they're not causing us any problems whatsoever," said the union.<br /><br />But criticism of the volunteer effort has gone as high as the Oval Office, with President Bush even criticizing the operation in March, calling the Minutemen "vigilantes."<br /><br />"I'm against vigilantes in the United States of America," Bush said at a joint press conference with Mexican President Vicente Fox and Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, at Baylor University in Waco, Texas. "I'm for enforcing the law in a rational way."<br /><br />(c) 2005 7am.com.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Border Agents Back 'Minutemen'

Hmmmm. This is turning out a lot better than I expected. I was very apprehensive but it appears that it is doing some good.<br /><br />If the groups against it cannot cite any specific incident to complain about their whining can be viewed as baseless.<br /><br />The fact that the guys on the front line approve of what is actually happening out there is convincing to me.<br /><br />I would sure like to hear some testimony about actual incidents to explain why the BP agents are happy with the results and the antis aren't.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I wish that we could get something like that in place over here.<br /><br />I'm a trucker and if a truck comes back from abroad with a stowaway illegal immigrant the driver is automatically fined £2000 if he reports it upon finding the immigrant in this country.The more deterrent against illegal immigration the better.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

If the minute man project is such a big problem, why dont' they hire more Border Patrol agents? They don't like them guarding the border. They want to stop it. But letting the illegal imigrants come into the U.S. is also illegal. Don't see them fighting real hard to stop that. <br /><br />God Bless America.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Last night "60 Minutes" had a program about the Arizona border. It is just a broken barbed wire fence in some places. What a joke.<br /><br />They also showed just how easy it was to obtain a birth certificate and SS# for someone.<br /><br />I wish the minutemen would continue their operation indefinitely.<br /><br />Ken

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by Big Poppa G:<br /> If the minute man project is such a big problem, why dont' they hire more Border Patrol agents? They don't like them guarding the border. They want to stop it. But letting the illegal imigrants come into the U.S. is also illegal. Don't see them fighting real hard to stop that. <br /><br />God Bless America.
Big Poppa, the anti minuteman whining is no surprise, it is coming from the same crowd that is purposefully doing nothing about the illegal invasion. Of course they try to demean it by calling it vigilantiism, but they would either do nothing or advocate doing nothing in its stead.<br /><br />There has to be a reason that this subject is being virtually ignored by both parties. It almost looks like a lack of national will to protect it's borders but I think it goes way beyond that. If illegal immigration is against the law and the American public is dead set against it, why has nothing been done?<br /><br />I think the Minuteman entry into the fray is good because the more they are criticized, the bigger a spotlight it puts on the subject. I think this will force the Feds to finally act on this.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

The reason the gov is ignoring it is because illegals mean BIG PROFITS to many companies.<br /><br />You can pay an illegal 5 dollars and hour that a citizen would require 10. You do the math.<br /><br />Remember, who does congress work for....big business.<br /><br />Ken

SoulWinner

Commander

There was a time when I didn't mind Mexicans. I thought there were just a few hard working illegal immigrants trying to make it in life. Then came hurricane Ivan. Since Ivan, this area has been swarmed by thousands of illegal aliens. They came here for the work, but their work is shoddy and often they scam the home and business owners for whom they offer their services (at first they were all roofers). None of them speak English, they don't respect anyone, and then came the fight at the pool hall. Five illegals came in at 4:00pm and started drinking a few cervesas. At 10:00 one of them assaulted a woman and then all he11 broke loose. These five drunk Mexicans against 30-40 big rednecks did more damage than I could have imaginged, then they pulled knives. Thats when I pulled my pistole and they started to leave, but the cops showed up and started sorting everything out. Turns out one ofthe Mexicans, the one that assaulted the woman, had an FBI warrant for murder out of California.<br /><br />Now, I want them gone, all of them. Since Ivan, the Mexicans have just stayed here because there is a big construction boom going on. They have forced many American framing, concrete, roofing, and drywall crews out of business; despite the fact that their work is crappy. They are even taking over trades like plumbing, electrical and brick masonry. I just really wish they would leave. They drive like idiots (probably cause they pack 20 guys in regular cab pick-up truck), they are loud and disrespectful. They travel in packs and cause trouble every night when they get drunk. They suck.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Exactly why I say the same thing about illegals over here. Tony Blair really ought to read that post SW.

SoulWinner

Commander

Nos4r2,<br /><br />What kind of illegal aliens do you have over there? Western Europeans? Russians? Do they cause the same problems? Are they a burden on your health care system like they are here? Here they cost our health care system billions of dollars each year.

90skichallenger

Petty Officer 1st Class

I can give you the downlow from here in texas.<br />1st. Everyone I know is totally behind the minutemen<br />2nd. Officials near the Border state "crime is down over 35% since the minutemen started patrolling." <br />One sheriff was quoted as saying "1st time in months I have had a good nights sleep."<br />3rd. The program is not only staying in place after 30 days it is being expanded to include other states down here as well.<br />I myself am going to take a long weekend from work and go down and help out for a few days.<br />The Border service cant afford to hire more agents and the minutemen provide another set of eyes and a visual deterrent to illegals attempting to cross.<br />People need to remeber that the southern border is a popular entry point for terrorists.<br />and lastly,<br />Most complaints I have heard are from northerners who are not exposed to the illegal alien problem on a daily basis like we are in the border states.<br /><br />I am not surprised at Bush's reaction. Him and Vincente Fox ( mexican Pres.)have been buttbuddies Since he was a governor here. Fox even had a primer printed for mexivans on how best to enter the US illegally.<br />The problem wont end until we stop coddling these illegals and we must not give them access to any benefits.(email your congressman with your opinion, squeaky wheel gets the grease)<br />Later,

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

We have eastern europeans. Mostly Lithuanian Romanian and Serbian but a large number of Asian,Iraqi and African too.<br /><br /> You've probably come into contact with them at some point-the nigerian immigrants here appear to be the ones perpetrating the western union wire scams on ebay.<br /><br />The Romanian "gypsies" are the worst. They come here and do nothing but steal. At most major open-air camping events they arrive in gangs and start stealing from tents etc.They have absolutely no sense of self-preservation either, so their thefts get more and more ridiculously open. Last year I was at a major bike rally run by the Hells Angels and they managed to steal a show Harley from the show tent within sight of hundreds of people-and the Hells Angels on security.To be caught doing that is tantamount to suicide.<br /><br />Again, they are lazy and don't speak our language (or pretend not to whenever they get caught). They steal constantly and it's not safe to be near any concentration of them. They drive vehicles not registered to themselves without insurance or licences and with complete disregard (or maybe just ignorance) for the rules of the road. <br /><br /><br />The other problem we have is a huge number of legal migrant workers. They work for minimum wage doing jobs that the British would demand half as much again for, therefore keeping wages artificially low. Their attitude is generally comparable to that of the illegals but they can't be deported. They don't pay tax in this country either, yet they all (including the illegals) get the same healthcare as we do.<br /><br />Blair won't stop them coming in either.<br /><br />On the + side, we do also get some legal immigrants who come here and make a positive effort to make themselves a new life and to fit in. These people are unfortunately in the minority.The majority are simply after what they can get.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks SW(nice avatar BTW-where'd that come from? :p )<br /> What's even crazier is that the European Court of Human Rights has just declared that not allowing Romanian "gypsies" into this country is racist and forced us to take more of them.<br /><br />You couldn't make it up.

johnson-liner

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think all one has to do is ask him or herself "what world leader is NOT involved in big business (who of course wants cheap labor)"?<br /><br />Here's one northerner who says GOOD FOR THE VOLUNTEERS!! Cause no president is going to REALLY take care of the problem. It is up to us citizens. <br /><br />And thank you to you Skichallenger and all others for taking the time to help them! :)

Stratosfied

Ensign

To call them vigilantes, to me is a disgrace. If anyone was to witness a kidnapping or any other crime and reported it to the proper authorities, then they would be hailed as a hero. Well, these folks are not vigilantes but heros in my book.

redone

Cadet

I'm in western nc and like where SW is the illeagles are takimg over construction btw if you are wondering why there work is so bad check out a mexican border town some of the buildings are down right scarry GO MINUITE MEN!!! I think we need a 6ft HIGH voltage fence at the borders and every one passes through existing crossings