Boomyal you Turkey

Link

Rear Admiral
Boomyal and everyone else. I just don't know where to start! Bought a 10 lb FreeRange Turky. Used the original recipe with Kosher salt. Because of time, I only got to soak it for 8 hours.<br /><br />This part I have been doing for years but without the soaking in brine.<br />
Smoke the Turkey for 4-5 hours in a Little Chief smoker with Cherry wood. (turns out hard as a rock and dry) Then put it in a roasting pan on a rack with water under it. Cover and bake as per directions. Then slice and let it cool to serve.(All moister is returned to the bird meat)
A: Been doing this with Mrs.Links family for the last 8 years. After the main meal and deserts we brought out the platter with the smoked Turkey and placed it on the table and everyone snacks on it while doing family things and take some slices home. <br /><br />Then I give away everything left over to friends who really like it also!<br /><br />This year <br /><br />After the main meal one of my SIL's took a peice of the smoked turkey and took about three steps.. <br />Then stopped in her tracks... turned around and picked up another couple piece.. Said it was the best Turkey she had ever tasted. So did everyone else. I thought they were being polite! Until I tasted it ! Holly smokes, I could go on but will not!<br />Even Mrs.Link and her mother who don't like smoked meat loved it!<br />I even liked the stupid dark meat! Got caught at 2AM with a peice of Dark meat hanging out of my mouth by Mrs.Link! She accused me of cheating! Guildy as charged! Except she ate the Evidence by mid morning :D :D <br /> Great Stuff Boomyal! <br /><br />BRINE: ULTIMATE BRINE FOR TURKEY <br />Master Recipe <br /><br /><br /> <br />1 1/2 cups, Kosher salt** <br />**See notes below regarding amount of salt and types of salt <br />1 1/4 cups, brown sugar <br />10 whole cloves <br />3 teaspoons, black peppercorns <br />1 1/2 gallons (6 quarts) apple juice or cider (non-alcoholic) <br />the peel from one orange or one tangerine (colored part only - not white pith) <br />optional: 3 teaspoons, dried thyme and/or 3 teaspoons, dried sage <br /><br />Combine all ingredients in a non-reactive pot, bring mixture to a boil, lower heat and simmer for 15-20 minutes (partly covered). Allow brine to cool completely. <br /><br />Rinse turkey under cool running water, inside and out (remove giblets from body cavity). Pat turkey dry with paper towels, then immerse turkey in cooled brine.* Turkey should be completely submerged in liquid (place a plate on top of the bird if necessary to keep it covered with the liquid). <br /><br />Cover the pot and refrigerate for 8-10 hours or up to 24 hours. Remove turkey, rinse, pat dry, and roast as usual. <br /><br />*Be sure the container used for brining turkey is non-reactive: use enamel, glass or crockery or stainless steel - never cast iron or aluminum. The pot should be just large enough to contain the turkey (so the brine will be sufficient to cover the bird). <br /><br />** NOTE REGARDING THE AMOUNT OF SALT IN BRINE: A milder brine may be made, which may have a less flavorful result – but if salt is a concern (the entire turkey will absorb only 10-15% of the brine) the amount of salt may be reduced. For the desired chemical effect to take place, however, the proportions cannot be less than 2/3 to 1 cup of salt per gallon (4 quarts) of water or other liquid. <br /><br />**TYPES OF SALT: <br />Kosher salt is the ONLY type of salt to be used in making brine (it is sweeter and more pure than ordinary table salt). Kosher salt is available in two varieties. The most common is flaked salt (example: Morton Kosher Salt) which has been pressed into flakes by rollers. The other type is a four-sided crystal (example: Diamond Crystal Kosher Salt). The crystal-shaped salt measures differently because of its shape. Use about 25% (one quarter) MORE crystal salt than flaked salt when measuring for brine or other recipes. The formula is: 1 tablespoon of regular table salt is equivalent to 1 ½ tablespoons flaked kosher salt, or 2 tablespoons, diamond crystal kosher salt. <br /><br /><br /> <br />Variations:<br />*A listener called last year to report that using beer instead of juice resulted in a wonderful flavor - she even used Guiness, a more bitter-tasting beer - and loved it! <br /><br />*Chef John Ash weiged in with the idea of substituting a cup of maple syrup for the sugar in his brine (can't recall whether he used juice or water) - and he glazed the turkey, during the last half-hour of cooking, by brushing every 10 minutes with a mixture of melted butter and maple syrup.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boomyal you Turkey

lickout.gif
MMMMMM! ;) <br />To bad there are no leftovers for Turkey Salad Sandwiches. Just finished one. Oh boy!!

Link

Rear Admiral

Boomyal <br />
MMMMMM! <br />To bad there are no leftovers for Turkey Salad Sandwiches. Just finished one. Oh boy!! <br />
OH yes know what you mean! Did that yesterday!<br />For the regular Turkey... main meal..<br /> But for my little 10 LB bird soaked in your brine and smoked.. no way! :D :D Nothing left!<br /><br />Next month I'm going to use the same brine on a regular Turkey (as in Baking) and report back. <br /><br />Talk about taking Turkey to a new level!<br />Your Brine will!<br /><br />Link

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

Link, Bommyal, Just read this 'smokin' recipie. <br />Link, where did you get the quote from?<br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Smoke the Turkey for 4-5 hours in a Little Chief smoker with Cherry wood. (turns out hard as a rock and dry) Then put it in a roasting pan on a rack with water under it. Cover and bake as per directions. Then slice and let it cool to serve.(All moister is returned to the bird meat) <br />--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Been searching for half an hour.<br /><br />Seems that you cook this bird twice, once in the smoker and then in the oven???? <br />please help with the entire recipie..<br />thanks, carol

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I have brinned and smoked turkeys for years.<br />The brine solution I use is very similar to the one listed above.<br /><br />I use a Brinkman water style smoker. I put the bird in the upper rack.<br />The thing I do that is different is that I stuff the bird with chopped celery and onion. I smoke the bird breast side down and put one or two sticks HARD frozen UNsalted butter inside the bird on top of the onion and celery.<br /><br />The butter melts and is slowed down by the veggies. It drips through the breast at the bird cooks. Very flavorful and moist. I can do two 23 pound birds at the same time in a Brinkman.<br /><br />I smoke the birds for a minimum of twelve hours using charcoal and hickory.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I like to use a whole turkey bre*st with the ribs in. Then, after soaking in a salt/sugar/ brine, I put it on one of those whole chicken racks, the type that will hold the bird over a can of beer. I don't use any beer though.<br /><br />I got a new smoker this year, and it made a big difference.<br />It has a cast brass LP gas burner, cast iron wood box, and a huge water pan. I can regulate the heat and cook at much lower temps. So the meat does not dry out.<br /><br />I smoke 3-4 hours, using 3 batches of wood chips, at an air temp of 130*-150*.<br /><br />Then the bird is removed, wrapped in 2 layers of aluminum foil, and returned to the smoker. Smoker temp is raised to 200* for an hour, then to about 325* until the meat reaches the safe to eat internal temp, ( 180-200* for poultry).<br /><br />When done, leaved it wrapped up, don't even peek at it. The bird must cool for an hour. You can also cool it down, then refrigerate it for a day.<br />So tender and juicy, even when cold the juice will run out of it when you slice it.<br /><br />I have done this whith whole chickens, chicken drumsticks, turkey drumsticks, turkey bre*st. The dark meat turns oout like ham. <br /><br />I have also done this - skipping the soaking phase - with boneless pork roast and whole pork loins. Just rub them with seasoning and wrap in foil after 2-2.5 hours. You can cut it with a fork when you are done.<br /><br />Next summer I will be smoking some corn like KKC had on his visit to Texas.<br /><br />Now I will also have to try soaking in apple cider. :)

Link

Rear Admiral

steve n carol <br /><br />
Smoke the Turkey for 4-5 hours in a Little Chief smoker with Cherry wood. (turns out hard as a rock and dry) Then put it in a roasting pan on a rack with water under it. Cover and bake as per directions. Then slice and let it cool to serve.(All moister is returned to the bird meat) <br />
As usual I was about clear as mud on that. Sorry for the confusion.<br />-------------------------<br />Normally my proceedures are closer to Parrott_head and roscoes.<br /><br />Brine for 12-24 hrs and smoke 12-16 depending on the bird. Except ofcourse I'd never used a brine on a Turkey before)<br />------------------------<br />Yes I have to bake the bird after smoking for the reasons roscoe mentioned. I do not have heat control and the inside air of the smoker only gets to 150-170 degrees depending a lot on the time of year used. <br /><br />On any other type of smoking (other than whole Turkeys or other Fowl)I have a empty 15oz veggie can that I fill with water and set on the drip pan. <br /><br />I was explaing how I did it this time.(my first using a brine) And still had such great results! Because of a goof up I only actualy soaked it for six hours and smoked for 4 hour then baked. :eek: <br /><br />Hope that clears it up a bit Carol.<br />And thanks for posting.. Smoking birds has been brought to a higher level here in our household! <br />YUMMY comes to mind! <br /><br />Link

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by spratt:<br />
Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />
How do you light them to smoke them????? :p
If you can locate an old Cheech & Chong album from the 70's, take the rolling paper included, shred the turkey after cooking (the drier the better), arrange it carefully over the entire length of the paper...carefully begin at one side of the paper and roll the turkey in the paper tightly as you perform this...light one end of the now rolled turkey joint, and enjoy!!!
Oh wow man, This sh*t is awesome dude. Munchies?? No way man, it's all in a single doobie. Wow.. :cool: :cool: Theres got to be a market for this, somebody somewhere will buy them on e-bay. Heck they thought a stale cheese wich was worth 22 grand, this ought to buy my 410 Fiesta Vee.

spratt

Lieutenant

Originally posted by NYMINUTE:<br />
How do you light them to smoke them????? :p
If you can locate an old Cheech & Chong album from the 70's, take the rolling paper included, shred the turkey after cooking (the drier the better), arrange it carefully over the entire length of the paper...carefully begin at one side of the paper and roll the turkey in the paper tightly as you perform this...light one end of the now rolled turkey joint, and enjoy!!!

spratt

Lieutenant

Oh yeah...add other herbs and seasonings as desired...let us all know the results if you try this, NY!!! Great with left-overs, I would imagine...

steve n carol

Chief Petty Officer

THANKS!<br /><br />To all of you who are helping me 'smoke" this thing. I'll give it a try!<br />I've smoked 2 others in the past. Not using a brine and left them in there for 5-8 hours, not baking them afterwards. <br /><br />Carolyn