Booking a hotel room

NathanY

Commander
Who is the best internet source for getting the best deal on a hotel room? I will be traveling to San Antonio for vacation, getaway for my wife and I, but I am on a very limited budget.

Kenneth Brown

Captain
Re: Booking a hotel room

I have found that the actual motel has the best deal most of the time. A little known fact is you can opt out os services. Most all offer a "contintal" breakfast. Every hotel I have stayed in knocked $5 off for every head when we declined it.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Search the internet, but before booking, call first, and ask for the best rate.<br /><br />Often they will beat the internet deal.<br /><br />Ken

biloxiriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

Concur with Ken. I travel a lot on business and have found that if you call the hotels directly you can often "negotiate" the price. Also, for what it is worth, even if you are in some kind of a club membership, usually AAA rates are the lowest. Internet rates tend to be higher than direct rates too. Good luck.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Stay away from the Alamo Inn....PLEASE TRUST ME.... I booked a room there for my honeymoon.....looked good on the internet....price was right......get down to the hotel....bars on the windows, some windows with plywood over them....8 foot chain link fence around with barbed wire across the top and the house to the side had a tree growing out of it.<br /><br /><br />names can be deceiving....and the website looked good (and I got the link from the Chamber of Commerce)..... We actually took pictures to remind us of what could have been :D <br /><br />I ended up staying at the Holiday Inn on the Riverwalk....<br /><br />I've stayed at the Travel Lodge on the Riverwalk before too....it's on the lower $$$ range but it wasn't terrible.....but that was several years ago....<br /><br />you have to spend one evening on the Riverwalk.....

carrotsnapper

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know what your price range is. We (my wife, my sister and her husband and I) drove from SLC to Illinois (western pronunciation is ill-i-noise)and stayed almost every night in the Holiday Inn Express. Usually less than $100. per night and pretty nice rooms for a non-luxury room. Included breakfast, more than coffee and donuts. We almost never get reservations and We do travel quite a bit for fun and I was generally pleased with rooms. On the other hand, We spent one night in St Joseph, Missouri and had a dog room at some Super 8 or some such. It was without a doubt the worst room I've ever been in. Good idea to get a reservation but I frequently don't know where I'll be come bedtime.

JRJ

Commander

As said above, book the room yourself. People usually pay more on the net.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

The best "cheap" motel for me has always been a Super 8.<br />Never seen a bad one, nice amenities, pools, nice but basic rooms. <br /><br />10 locations in San Antonio<br /><br /> http://www.super8.com/Super8/contro...SE&p_country=US&p_state=TX&p_city=San+Antonio <br /><br /><br />$40-70 per night, depending on location, day of week, AAA discount, <br /><br /><br />$55 at the Sea World location.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

I go directly to the motel and reserve there. We usually stay at the Comfort Inn. Not a lot of extras, but always a good price. Usually if you reserve early they will cut the rates. Check the internet for details and specials. <br />I have compared to sites like hotels.com and expedia, that kind of sites. The hotel will usually be a better rate.<br />If you are renting a car or flying in, check there for package deals. Also if it is business, some places offer specials for business travelers.

LadyFish

Admiral

Nate, we stayed at the Menger House which is a block away from the Riverwalk and across the street from the Alamo. It's a historical hotel and beautiful inside. In the lobby bar you can still see the axe mark Carry Nations put in it during prohibition. You also have easy access to the $1 trolly which is the easiest way to get to El Marcado, a Mexican flemarket which is a lot of fun.<br /><br />Here's a link, look under special rates.<br /><br />The Menger House<br /><br />Also, cheaphotels.com is a great place to find specials if you know the hotel first. You can usually find a really nice hotel for the same price you'd pay for something less desirable.

revertmastec

Petty Officer 1st Class

Try Hotwire.com. You will not know what the name of the hotel is until after you purchase but it will give you a star rating. I usally get a 4 star hotel for about $50.00 a night. Usally a Sheraton or something along that lines. Be careful once you book it there are no refunds. This is a great site as long as you know you are going to be there. Best time to do it is about 2 weeks from the time you are going to travel.

PW2

Commander

I've used hotwire, priceline, and hotels.com. and have had reasonably good luck with each of them. Not too long ago we got a rate of $76 /nite at a downtown Toronto Mariott on hotwire. It was about half price from the published rate. Not sure if there was a way to get it cheaper, but I was happy with it, which is pretty much all that is important.

Carphunter

Commander

Dang Nate, your goin all the way from Arkansas to Texas! How long of a trip is that? .......I guess it depends on if your traveling by Goat or Donkey. :p