boneheads run amuck

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
http://www.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050223/BREAKINGNEWS/50223002 <br /> February 23, 2005<br /><br /><br />Florida boy accused of assault with rubber band<br /><br /><br />13-year-old suspended 10 days after confrontation with teacher<br /><br /><br />WKMG Local 6<br /><br /><br />Suspended from school. Robert Gomez has been accused of threatening a teacher with a rubber band. WKMG Local 6 image. <br />Enlarge this image<br /><br /><br />A 13-year-old student in Orange County, Fla., was suspended for 10 days and could be banned from school over an alleged assault with a rubber band, according to a WKMG Local 6 News report. <br /><br />Robert Gomez, a seventh-grader at Liberty Middle School, said he picked up a rubber band at school and slipped it on his wrist.<br /><br />Gomez said when his science teacher demanded the rubber band, the student said he tossed it on her desk.<br /><br />After the incident, Gomez received a 10-day suspension for threatening his teacher with what administrators say was a weapon, Local 6 News reported.<br /><br />"They said if he would have aimed it a little more and he would have gotten it closer to her face he would have hit her in the eye," mother Jenette Rojas said.<br /><br />Rojas said she was shocked to learn that her son was being punished for a Level 4 offense -- the highest Level at the school. Other violations that also receive level 4 punishment include arson, assault and battery, bomb threats and explosives, according to the Code of Student Conduct.<br /><br />The district said a Level 4 offense includes the use of any object or instrument used to make a threat or inflict harm, including a rubber band.<br /><br />Rojas plans to fight the ruling but her son still faces expulsion.<br /><br />"It's ridiculous, it's a rubber band," Rojas said.<br /><br />The school's principal could not comment because the case is still under investigation.<br /><br />A district spokesman said there is still a series of meetings the district will have before Gomez is officially expelled.

ob

Admiral
Re: boneheads run amuck

Sorta makes me wonder if there is any other info that would be pertinent to the schools ruling.ie ,previous behavior of the student or any misleading details.Otherwise,it sounds a bit over-reactive.

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

That does sound a bit over reactive to me too. The mother would do good to fight it. <br />Wow! I'm so glad I'm not in the classroom anymore. I had those kinds of things come close to happening and no thanks. Couldn't pay me enough to put up with that cr*p.<br />Bassy

Link

Rear Admiral

It was an Assult Rubber Band! Could be loaded with mutable spit balls at the same time and fired. IE:Automatic Weapon! Kids getting off light IMO!<br />Good thing he didn't make a paper airplane! Assult with an Aircraft! :D :D

gaugeguy

Captain

All fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out :rolleyes:

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Another opportunity for big money I've missed.<br /><br />In the early '70's I and a few other young blokes in the Department of Navy had a great time for about 18 months firing taxpayer-funded rubber bands at each other off taxpayer-funded rulers.<br /><br />When it got serious we fired taxpayer-funded paper clips at each other with the taxpayer-funded rubber bands. They could really hurt.<br /><br />Never occured to us to claim compo for the various injuries we received. You'd be surprised how much damage you can do when your desks are only about 5 or 6 feet apart, especially when you attack someone who's actually working and doesn't see it coming. <br /><br />We figured that as we were being funded by the taxpayers to engage in this stupidity instead of wasting our time on silly things like getting ammo onto ships it wouldn't be right to claim for our injuries.<br /><br />Looking back, I can see that I was a victim of oppression and discrimination by the rubber band bullies. They made me fire things at other people when I really wanted to be working. It's scarred me for life. I think I should find a lawyer to sue somebody so I can look at a rubber band or paper clip again without breaking into a sweat.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

wow <br /> the rubber bandit :) <br /> hope he gets at least life. never know what kind of mad seriel killer starts out with rubber band assaults.<br /> when I was in the 9th grade we had a science reacher that would fire them at us. if you got hit he would ask a question of you. to answer you also had to shoot it back first. made learning physical science much more interesting.

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> All fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out :rolleyes:
Saw taht one in the FAR SIDE. Love it. <br />How did this happen in any other state than Caifornia?

NYMINUTE

Captain

Originally posted by gaugeguy:<br /> All fun and games until someone gets an eye poked out :rolleyes:
Saw that one in the FAR SIDE. Love it. <br />How did this happen in any other state than Caifornia?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

A thousand rubber band lashings should be a just punishment.<br /><br />Ken

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

just cant prepare yourself when the rubber band man starts to jam :) :) <br /> now the stupid song is stuck:)

ebbtide176

Commander

on the face it sounds overreactive. but also it seems the kid must have fired it at the teacher, which is not 'tossing'. perhaps this particular kid happened to be an everyday punk, and really deserved to get a good lashing with the principal's belt. but since paddling/spanking isn't allowed as discipline, schools have to get stricter on other measures. geez<br /><br />sounds like the kid might get expelled and the parents forced to reckon with his behavior :D

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

could be ebb:)<br /> its a good thing Iam not in schoolnow.Iwould be busted<br /> I took my last 2 weeks and my finals in 11th grade history in the deans office.the teacher and I had had a running heated argument and the last straw he said some not nice things and turned his back. I heaved the history book at him.lucky for me I missed but itwas still a nasty thing.only the fact that I had repaired the deans van and rescued his daughter from a breakdown one night saved me.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Some of you guys are taking the boy's story as accurate and the teacher's story that he "shot" the band at her face and missed as fabrication.<br /><br />Try considering the possibility that the kid lied.

NathanY

Commander

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Some of you guys are taking the boy's story as accurate and the teacher's story that he "shot" the band at her face and missed as fabrication.<br /><br />Try considering the possibility that the kid lied.
Wouldnt that be considered opposite of Innocent until proven guilty, JB?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by Nate in AR:<br /> Wouldnt that be considered opposite of Innocent until proven guilty, JB?
1. It's a schoolroom not a courtroom. <br />2. He's not of age to stand trial (although an exception might be made in the case of a crime as heinous as this).<br />3. It's not "innocent until proven guilty," defendants are always denying guilt only to be convicted based on somebody else's testimony.<br /><br />I would bet 25¢ that this is the "last straw," and the disciplinary action was prompted by more than just "assault with a rubber band"

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not at all. Lots of info left out of the post.<br /><br />What about the Admins who suspended the kid? Isn't this thread accusing them of guilt?<br /><br />Gossip.