bondo - the 3.0L - TURBO **

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class
bondo - just wondering how big of a project it would be to install the turbo set-up ??<br />i have an 88' stingray bowrider w/ 3.0L w/ alpha 1.. looks like the turbo has the 2-piece elbow?? mine has the 1-piece.. just wondering on the + & -'s of doing the conversion - thanks , Bruce

Bondo

Staff member
Re: bondo - the 3.0L - TURBO **

Well Bruce,<br />The Guy explains it Pretty Good.... You wouldn't be using Your riser(elbow?? mine has the 1-piece..)... I'd say the Turbo bolts on to the manifold, Right where Your riser is bolted Now.... The auction discreption is Quite Good, explaining the plumbing for oil lines...changing the water lines.. Linkages..<br />It's going to take a little "Seat of the Pants Engineering"......<br />
This is the perfect item for the gearhead who wants more horsepower out of his Merc 4 cyl.
His 1st line pretty well sums it up....<br />I'm Tempted....<br />It's a Great Sh!ts&Giggles thing....

Bondo

Staff member

Hey, You Just posted under me...

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i understand it has it's own riser just didn't know - if because it's a 2-piece if there was going to be a "space" issue ?? or if will line up correct on my housing?? the oil line wont be an issue-ie: oil filter relocate kit and tap return line to turbo - what about the water lines ??? what would have to be relocated??? thanks - bruce<br /><br />p.s. i got the gearhead thing covered :D

Bondo

Staff member

To the best of my knowledge,<br />Merc has only used 2 different manifold configurations...... <br />The Mod.1 with the drianable riser...<br />And the Alpha1 manifold with the Self-draining riser.....<br />I've never come accross a 1 piece Manifold/Riser, Except the Failed/Bad Idea, Rams Horn Manifolds used for a short time on the 4.3ls.....<br />Mix'n Match... I don't know Which 1 is required....<br /><br /> "the oil line wont be an issue-ie: oil filter relocate kit and tap return line to turbo"<br />uh-uh... No Good..... You'll need a dedicated oil line from a high pressure port in the oil galley...... A oil filter by-pass, is just that.. a By-Pass... Not a dependable supply...<br />And the oil Return line would have to be tied into the base... Turbos Need an Unrestricted, Free-Fall Oil Return.....<br /><br /> "what about the water lines ??? what would have to be relocated??? " <br />The Turbo-Housing is water-cooled... The system now pumps water into the manifold,+ dumps it thru/out of, the riser.....<br />With the Turbo mounted, you'll need to plumb the water from the manifold, to the Turbo, to the riser, where it'll dump out of the system.....<br /><br />This is Definetly Not a "Plug + Play" system....<br />Once it's installed, There'll be Carb Tuning Issues.. Timing Issues.. The Usual Tuning,+ Tweeking Issues.......<br /><br />If you're going to go for it, Let me know......<br />Right now, it's Still Well within My Disposable Income Bracket......<br />If there's No Interest in it(bidding), I just might Have to buy it....<br />Course, Then I'll have to go + Find a Hull Worthy of a Hot Rodded 3.0l.....<br /><br />4 days,+ Counting.................................

wvit100

Chief Petty Officer

Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper, easier, and the boat would be faster - to just install a 350 ci motor?

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"alot" of work to put in 350 - i would love that though..<br /> <br />bondo - probably not going to bid on it - to many projects going on myself + the wife would kill me about now just dumped a grand in accesories already - :D <br />was wondering ?? wanna buy a 88' stingray ?? :D :p

Bondo

Staff member

Naahhhh.....<br />I was thinking more like a Tiny Boat......<br />Donzi Sweet 16.....<br />Or Smaller.....<br />Maybe an old Glastron Jet-Flite, 14', I've got kicking around the back 40.....<br /><br />wvit100,<br />I Already Did a 3.0l to 4.3LX swap in the boat I'm running Now......<br />I'm building a Bored & Stroked, 327cid Chevy now for an OMC to Merc. swap I'm working on.....<br />End Result will be a 383cid....

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

bondo - i asked the guy about turbo - he said it's possible it may need bearings....just thought i'd let ya know , bruce

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ANYBODY considered gear ratio here? ??????? You have a outdrive that has a certain gear ratio.Like a rear end on a car. You can put a 502 on a 4 cyl. gearcase but it wont handle it.

Bondo

Staff member

New Complete Outdrives are Only $1600.00<br />Gears I Got....<br />I'm also high bidder at the moment.....

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How much horsepower are you planning on running thru a alpha drive? Its got its limitations, unless you want to buy a bravo and transom assembly....? Why dont you just buy a faster boat?Turboing a 3.0 is like polishing a turd.If you want a faster boat trade yours and the gobbs of money your going to spend and buy a nice boat.(just my opinion)

bluewater19

Chief Petty Officer

Just a thought but, small hull + light weight engine with higher horsepower = qucik boat. <br />The type of boat bondo wants to put this in would come alive with 180-200hp and no weight gain. I would guess that being the 3.0's have low compression that 6-10 pounds of boost would be in order for a reliable motor. by the way that ray-jay turbo was used alot in automotive carbed applications. Any turbo shop can rebuild it pretty cheap.

BMDODGE

Petty Officer 2nd Class

less than 1-day .......good luck bondo , watch out for those snipers + if you get it set-up on something send me some pic's :cool: <br />thanks - bruce

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

Hey bondo,<br /><br />Do you have any idea why we don't see more turbo gas engines in the recreational boat market. It seems like an ideal fit. Frequent high rpm's, warm temps, space can be made more easily at time of mfg in a boat than a car, (usually), Lower emissions, a good supply of clean air, no dust,dirt, etc. And since it runs on exhaust no additional cost in fuel.<br /><br />Any idea's

D

DJ

POINTER94,<br /><br />The short answer to your question is: $$$$$$<br /><br />Why go exotic when there are millions of decent, yet somewhat atiquated, cheap, all american, cast iron, auto engines to be had?

Bondo

Staff member

DJ is Right on the Money$$$$$$ :D <br />Actually, Boosted motors are Pretty Common on the Poker Run Boats... They Mostly use Superchargers, instead of Turbos.... Whipple Charger,+ Vortech come to mind... Belt driven blowers are Quicker boost,+ the guys selling them have packaged them to just bolt on + Run, on the new EFI motors.... Of course then they tell you how much Better it'll be with Their Chip in the 'puter...$$$$$<br />IF I get this thing, It'll be a limp 2nd place Turbo project....<br />The 1 in the works is a 400cid Chevy, sucking on Two(2) Turbos...... Draw-thru Carbs.... Spinning a Berkley Jet.....<br />A Real Junkyard Dog.....

D

DJ

Hey bondo,<br /><br />Are you going to push air through the carbs or run carb'd air through the turbo's?<br /><br />The second scenario scares me. :eek:

Bondo

Staff member

Draw-Thru....<br />I'm starting with 2 of the systems that were on Pontiac 301 V8s back in the 80s....<br />I see where you're going, <br />The motor will be fully exposed, Wide-Open in a little JetBoat...<br />Watercooled Carb manifolds, Watercooled Exhaust manifolds,+ Dry Stacks beyond......