Bondo, swap question

Battlewagon

Cadet
I have a Mercruiser 160 I-6. I have access to a free marine 305 Chevy from an OMC app. Mounting the engine is not a problem. My problem is the wife, who MUST be kept happy, will not tolerate thru transom exhaust. My boat,'78 Silverline, came with a 470 Merc and I swapped in the 160 Merc. Had to change the aluminium pipe that bolts to the transom plate for the exhaust. Can I bolt the exhaust pipe for a V-8 on to my transon plate and where do I find said pipe for a V-8 app??

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bondo, swap question

Is it safe to Assume that your Transom Plate is Also a 1978 ????<br /><br />Can you tell me the Shape, or Bolt Pattern on the lower end of the Y-pipe you need ????<br /><br />I Think I have 2 Y-pipes for the old Mod.1 transom plate.....<br />They had Ford 351Ws bolted to them though.......<br />I'm Thinking the Chevy would be the Same Y-pipe.........<br />I'm Also Thinking,<br />You'll have Serious Problems Trying to marry those OMC Manifolds to the Merc. Y-pipe.......<br />
Bondo, swap question, My problem is the wife
Depends on What She Looks Like....... :D

Battlewagon

Cadet

Ooops. Sorry bout that. Yes the transom plate is '78 vintage. I forget the bolt pattern. Will have the engine out tomorrow to do the coupler. I'll look at it then and take pics to keep memory fresh. Another question on the swap has to do with the input shaft length going into the coupler. I seem to remmeber something bout the I-6 being little shorter than the rest. This should not be an issue if I use the bellhousing from the I-6 should it?? I assume the I-6 has a shorter shaft and possibly shorter bell housing due to overall length.

Battlewagon

Cadet

As far as the OMC log manifolds...fish habitat in my inlaws catfish pond;) As I cannot help but throw the boat in salt every now in then, it is cheaper for me to swap to a V-8 and purchase the complete exhaust manifold conversion kit than to replace the I-6 manifold and elbow when the manifold finally gives up. There is also the power issue..I WANT MORE! Anyway, headed out to pull engine. Will let you know bolt pattern on transom plate this evening.

Battlewagon

Cadet

Bondo, with my back to the bow looking at the transom plate, the exhaust port is oval shaped with three bolts. One at 1 o'clock, one at 6 o'clock, and the last one at 9 o'clock. Hope this helps.

Bondo

Staff member

Battlewagon,<br />I just checked the 1 in the well house......<br />It's off a 1974 or 5 Slickcraft I boned out.....<br />It had a 351W in it....<br />The bolt pattern I believe is Different....<br />(Well the Bolt pattern's the Same, Not the Ports)<br />Exhaust port is Oval(horizonally) with 2 Small round ports below the oval.... <br />It's a 3-piece unit, a short Y,+ a 3" down pipe bolted on each side.......<br /><br />I Think the Difference is in the Transom Assembley.......<br />Without going,+ crawling thru the well house again,<br />I'm thinking the Inline motors Don't have the 2 little round Relief Ports........<br />Don't Remember.....( CRS )<br /><br />Let me know.....

Battlewagon

Cadet

Just went out and looked at my old transom plate. Single horizontal oval "2 3/4 X "2. Any way to block off the offending extra holes?? Maybe just have to fab up a y pipe myself. Oh well, basket case boat anyway.

Bondo

Staff member

Any way to block off the offending extra holes?? Maybe just have to fab up a y pipe myself.
Depends on How Handy you are..........<br /><br />If you want this 1 to Tinker with,<br />Send me the Postage,+ a little beer change,<br />And I'll mail it down to you............

Bondo

Staff member

Got it............<br /><br />Edit it out before a Spammer gets it......