BONDO for small repairs?

mannyq

Seaman
I have some chipped areas on my hull under the bottom paint. Any reason why I can't/shouldn't use bondo to fill then coat with resin?<br />Thanks.

Maximerc

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: BONDO for small repairs?

Make sure that it is waterproof bondo.. I kid you not that it is not all water proof .. I know duraglass is

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Dont use regular automobile bondo,it will absorb moisture.Only use what is for marine purpose,especially under the water line.Charlie

Mikedg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Regular bondo absorbs water and will lead to further damage. Use a marine epoxy 2 part system meant to be used below the waterline. 3M makes several fillers or you can use a product like Marine Tex

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about for boat trailer repairs? I've got a slightly rusted trailer and bought a quart of Bondo to smooth out the rough spots after I wire-brush and sand, before I paint.... didn't even realize there was a waterproof version. Also, I've NEVER used the stuff before, so if I don't need to get the waterproof Bondo, is there any 'tricks' I should know before I start?<br />Thanks!<br />Brian

BrianFD

No, Specks. Maybe I wasn't clear, or you mis-understood. Or vice-versa??<br />The rust problem is cosmetic. I'm sanding/grinding down to good metal (these are the fenders & steps... NOT the rails. The only weight they support is themselves, and my fat a$$ when I stand on them, hehehe) and painting with undercoats & top coats. I've already done one side, and where the rust WAS still looks like it's rusting under the paint (but it's not...) I was just wondering about smoothing the bondo into the valleys left by the now-removed rust, sanding the bondo down flush, then painting.<br />Clear? Or worser??<br />thanks

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

For cosmetics it will probably do fine.It may crack when you stand on it .I would not sweat it,just keep going with what you started.The fenders are cheap enough to replace if they did get ruined but i think you will be fine. Charlie

Hasbeen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Im a retired autobody man so I will give my 2 cents worth!<br /><br />After you are SURE that you have the rust removed you need to prep it with a metal treatment like ospho (available at auto paint stores) Its basicaly an acid that will kill any remaining rust! Bondo is fine to use on your trailer, Its also fine to use on your fiberglass if it is painted over with a catylized paint!! (IE: Corvettes) It has NO strength so do not use it to repair cracks!! then prime and paint reasonably soon! Most primers will absorb moisture and if you waite too long the rust will start under the primer!! The only primers that will not absorb moisture are catylized epoxy type or urethane!<br /><br />Hasbeen

BrianFD

Thanks, Charlie & Hasbeen! Appreciate your knowledge & comments!<br /><br />And Helios: Sorry! I didn't mean to 'hijack' your post!

Columbia

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I've used Marine Tex for over 30 years and swear by it, easy to mix, use, sand. It will shrink a small bit so plan on leaving it a bit proud or second coating.