Bombardier Inc.

Duckbay

Cadet
JB and others, thought you might enjoy this.<br /><br />From the National Post today. (Canadian)<br /><br />April 13, 2002<br /><br />Bombardier seen saving Evinrude from a watery grave<br />Moved fast at failed firm<br /><br />Franois Shalom<br />The Gazette<br />It was a year ago that Bombardier Inc. pounced on bankrupt Illinois-based Outboard Marine Corp., maker of Evinrude and Johnson outboard motors.<br /><br />OMC, controlled by financier George Soros, had been plummeting through years of technical and managerial meltdowns, and the coup de grace was administered by a widespread fuel-leak problem, which the U.S. Coast Guard said caused fires and explosions.<br /><br />OMC filed for bankruptcy in November, 2000, giving Bombardier an opening to do what it excels at: buying internationally known but distressed brand names for a pittance -- in OMC's case, US$54-million for its engine division.<br /><br />Now, 13 months after the takeover, people in the industry believe that Bombardier might just have rescued Johnson and Evinrude, which invented the outboard engine in 1909, from a watery grave.<br /><br />The first order of business, said Diane Byrne, who follows the boating industry for the magazine Power & MotorYacht, was to decide quickly to honour some warranties, which they weren't obligated to do.<br /><br />"They covered 2001 and 2000 model-year engines made by the previous owners," said Byrne.<br /><br />"Trying to please owners as well as [former OMC] dealers created a lot of good will."<br /><br />Michel Baril, president of Bombardier's Recreational Products division, conceded that the program took its toll on profit margins.<br /><br />"We had to ramp up fast and we still have to re-establish our dealer network, but we're now going to attack the cost issue," said Mr. Baril. "It will take another two or three years."<br /><br />The company had to respond because "technical problems were not addressed with diligence, and that tarnished the product ... and created a lot of uncertainty in the market."<br /><br />OMC's principal technology -- the FICHT direct-injection engine -- had design flaws that had to be fixed. Now, adapting that technology to other motorized vehicles Bombardier makes, especially Ski-Doos, will be the linchpin of Mr. Baril's strategy going foward.<br /><br />The doubts about the survival of Evinrude and Johnson were compounded by the usual industrious bad-mouthing from its two main competitors, Brunswick Corp.'s Mercury division and Japan's Yamaha engines.<br /><br />"Brunswick and Yamaha went around to dealers when we bought OMC and said: It probably will never start up again, these guys are plane-and-train people, not engine guys,"' said Mr. Baril. "And they indulged in a bit of blackmail -- telling dealers they had to sign up for two or three years."<br /><br />Still, Ms. Byrne said that Bombardier has played its hand well.<br /><br />Last May, two months after buying OMC, it acquired a new 470,000 square-foot plant in Sturtevant, Wisc., from a printer gone bankrupt. By September, only six months after the takeover, redesigned engines were coming off the line at the plant, which now employs 800 people and produces 200 motors a day.<br /><br />And the marketing offensive is on full-bore.<br /><br />"Since December," said Mr. Baril, "we've taken small group of dealers through the Sturtevant plant every two days or so, telling them all about the engineering, and they gave us all sorts of feedback on [their priorities]."<br /><br />But that's not to say Bombardier has steered completely clear of treacherous shoals.<br /><br />Chicago's National Marine Manufacturers Association closely guards the market share for their members. But the consensus is that Brunswick's Mercury holds about 40% to 45% of the outboard engine market, while Yamaha has roughly 25%. Which means that Bombardier will have to duke it out with Honda, Volvo, Suzuki and others to climb out of distant third place.<br /><br />Mr. Baril has grand plans nonetheless.<br /><br />"Eventually, I don't see why we couldn't get one-third of the market," he said, or about 250,000 engines "within maybe five or six years. ... Or maybe 10 years."

D

DJ

Re: Bombardier Inc.

Go Bombi, Go!<br /><br />Plane and train people, eh. What do you think makes those things move. It's alot more disastrous for an engine to fail in a plane.

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Interesting article. I support the acquisition but I am very oposed to the way this company is treating their dealers. According to the rep in my area Bombardier is doing away with small repair shops or parts and Assy dealers. I had purchased all my OEM parts through an old timer who worked from his garage for years. The man was an expert and a Perfectionist at the least. HOWEVER when I contacted Bombardier and my OMC rep FINALLY called me he said that Bombardier was doing away with small time accounts and only wanted major sales contacts. While I try to support dealers I also believe alot of people would rather go to a small time shop and get personalized service and satisfaction.. What I am getting at is this. Maybe its just my rep and I intend to find out, but a company who used to be number 1 would want as many people promoting their products as possible to boost the consumers confidence in them. The article posted strikes up alot of sparks for me because I work primarily on Older motors from 1956-85 and we all know there ARE TONS of these motors running. But again the story I am getting is unless you can spend 100,000 plus a year you cant be a bombardier dealer? So again the small time person loses, now I am not saying this is the SOLID policy but I will say I was told this by local area rep for Evinrude and Johnson outboards. In closing this just sit back and think of all the RELIABLE, TRUSTWORTHY, FRIENDLY, and HELPFUL small time repair shops who take the time to fix your old motor and dont take you to the cleaners in the process or force a NEW motor down your throat. Think what the future brings when they are gone or elimated or forced to become a full line dealer, HOW long will they last they just cant. I am not speaking against dealers and especially the employees who work for them and contribute to the board. Just asking for some feedback and HELP from any dealers out there. <br /><br />gra6961@usa.net

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

There's not too many boat-a-holics who have not owned or used a Johnson or Evinrude at some stage in their boating life. We grew up with those outboards - and have happy memories associated. I think many like me, feel a strong attachment to them and sincerely hope that they'll be around for a long time to come.<br /><br />Bombardier would seem like the perfect new owner and everything we've heard about their commitment to quality is impressive.<br /><br />I wish them all the best (and hope that the small repair shops get well supported too).<br /><br />Just my 2 cents... :)

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I for one thought when Bomb bought out OMC that they would gut the company for the ficht rights, and never build another outboard...now, I hope their product is as good as the ad copy promises...good competition in a marketplace helps all competitors......<br />P.S. Alan.....it is unfortunate the mom&pop dealers are getting cut, but I think the answer to 'why' is the older product....if you were Bombadier would you invest resources in this product, or spend it on marketing and manufacturing new stuff?

Allan19603hp

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ODDD1, WEll i can see your point about investment in the older product but how many of us on this board, let alone in the country could afford a NEW motor? Most people can cut 500.00 bill or 200.00 bill rather than $3000 or more. I just feel that if you cut down the mom and pop shops in time you will cut yourself.. I know big business survives but for a company who is struggling you think they would give more. Just my opinion on this.

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Give it time..<br /><br />As the article indicates.. They had to invest alot of cash in OMC to get it up to snuff and start from scratch in alot of areas.. <br /><br />They won't make any profit for quite a while if they do things properly.. so that means the only way to reduce the damage is to reduce the expenses.<br /><br />I have worked in management for international manufacturers/distributers and I can tell you that small acounts often cost more in processing then they make in sales.. which means that if OMC are to keep costs down, supplying 10,000 backyard operations will seriously tax their cash...<br /><br />Once they get a few big supply accounts and get out of the red,, they will probably be very attractive to the small guys.. (and vice versa)<br />After all, they want marketshare and thats really the way they have to go to get it.<br /><br />IF any one of us was in their position and saw the figures involved we would very likely do the same.<br /><br />I used to own a Bombardier motorbike, it was 50's vintage and last time I checked, it was still running.. they too are very capable of long running high performance engines.<br />(hell, they make lear jets, parts in the engines of those things spin at hundreds of thousands of rpm... I trust them to make a good outboard.)<br /><br />Good luck to them, I have only owned three non OMC outboards in my life,, and I've had a few.. and if I can, I will keep supporting them.. <br /><br />For some reason OMC outboards always seem more logical in construction and design then the Merc's and others that I have had.. <br /><br />The only Jap brand I really like is Suzuki, but from reading about some of them, they are substuting lightness for strength.. thats not good.. they used to make bullet proof motors..<br /><br />Good luck to Bombardier and <br /><br />Long live OMC. :D :D <br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Frank

Duckbay

Cadet

Frank <br />If what we keep hearing is true, it could get interesting. If Johnson is to market all the four strokes (Suzuki's, wearing the time honoured J badge) and Evinrude keeps perfecting and producing the Ficht technology, we could all benefit, from some serious competition in the market place.<br /><br />Suzuki's quality of four strokes, seems to be top flight. Where the cracks start to form is in their customer care when the odd engine fails and their untimely response get the owner up and running. Their presence in the Canadian market, is remote at best. Too bad for us, however if Bombardier does market their products, sign me up for a 140Hp 4 stroke!<br /><br />The customer care that Bombardier extended to the <br />pre-colapse Ficht customers, is nothing short of exemplary. Are there any out there? that would like to confirm this.<br /><br />I wish them well in the re-structuring of an old friend to most, in the OB business.

Forktail

Ensign

I own a small business too. But from Bombardier's standpoint, providing dealer support, training, warranty service, parts inventory, and dealer networks to every Tom, **** and Harry, makes little sense. That would be extemely costly. At this point Bombarier needs to streamline and focus to be successful with OMC. Sticking their neck out for the shade-tree mechanic isn't going to help success with OMC.<br /><br />First let me say that any small repair shop is always able to get parts. Whether it's directly from Bombardier, another certified Bombardier dealer/supplier, or on-line through bulk discount suppliers. I am not a Bombardier dealer nor do I even own a shop. But on several occassions when my certified Rotax dealer can't help me with hard to find parts for my rare Rotax's, I receive parts directly from Bombardier. In fact one time I even received parts directly from Austria and had to have the language and prices interpreted by someone who spoke German/Austrian. I also buy Bombardier parts for my Ski-doo on-line using micro fiche. Of course, common parts are bought at my very small local Bombardier dealer at a discounted price.<br /><br />So you can still have your garage mechanic do your work. But unless he's a Bombardier certified mechanic you won't be able to get warranty coverage. He probably won't be carrying your new outboard when you're ready to buy either. <br /><br />Bombardier expects a lot out of its dealers, just as you would if you owned Bombardier. They require dealerships to have a good chunk of money up front. This is to ensure that Bombardier can not only supply a revolving parts inventory, product inventory buy back system, certified training, warranty network, accessory/clothing lines, but a professional representation of their product. This means an ample showroom, shop, literature, and the ability to carry overhead product. Finally Bombardier does expect sales. And they will not tolerate continued dealer service complaints from consumers (I've seen dealers yanked).<br /><br />Another important factor is geographics. Bombardier, as well as many other manufactures (Ford, McDonands, Sears, ect) only allow so many dealerships in a given population density or area. This is to ensure that the dealers don't cut corners and reduce costs by trying to compete with other dealers in the same area. The consumer usually ends up with the short end of the stick here, and dealerships usually go bankrupt. It is much better to have a dealership make a profit, grow, provide quality service to a general area, and become vested with Bombardier.<br /><br />I wouldn't say Bombarier is doing away with small shops and dealers. I would say those small dealers don't meet the criteria, or are unwilling or unable to meet the criteria that is required to be a Bombardier dealer.<br /><br />I can't see the small garage mechanic with 35 years experience wanting to take outboard tech training from Bombardier. I can't see him wanting to dish out $200K for product inventory. I can't see him stocking Bombardier's parts line, accessories or clothes. And I can't see him competing with the "big" guy right next door. This doesn't mean he's not capable, just that owning a Bombardier dealership takes more than knowing how to fix an outboard.<br /><br />BTW, larger dealerships usually sell parts for other older outboards, as well as fix and sell used ones.<br /><br />Bombardier is very successfull in all its lines. It is an enormous company with lots of money. I'm sure it knows what its doing and will soon be leaps and bounds ahead of the competition in a short time.<br /><br /> :)